srx 715 mid top

mkfs9

Hi, am putting srx system together 715's over 718 x 4. now I have an amp well suited for the subs peavey 4080, giving each sub about 1000 watts. I have two qsc pl230 amps in my rack I would like to use for mid/tops 715's. these give out 625 wpc @ 8 ohms, not enough really. In bridge mode its 3000 if I run both on this each would get 1500 watts Is this to much for this cab to safely handle for mid/highs. The manual says use an amp 800 1600 so it seems could be ok.

Hi, am putting srx system together 715's over 718 x 4. now I have an amp well suited for the subs peavey 4080, giving each sub about 1000 watts. I have two qsc pl230 amps in my rack I would like to use for mid/tops 715's. these give out 625 wpc @ 8 ohms, not enough really. In bridge mode its 3000 if I run both on this each would get 1500 watts Is this to much for this cab to safely handle for mid/highs. The manual says use an amp 800 1600 so it seems could be ok.

SRX, OK, a few tips...

- 1500w per box is good for an SRX715 cab, they do like it up 'em, so to speak.

- work out how you're going to power the tops when you only want one per side (as you rightly point out, 625w isn't anything like enough). The simplest way will be to use the same amplifier configuration but save a separate program on your LMS with -3dB limiting on the MHF channels' output stage. They're a 75deg(h) box so two per side won't always work.

- before making any firm amplifier decisions, experiment with running the tops active. Really makes a difference - the sound comes alive - you'll think it's a different box B-)

- experiment with one SRX top over two 718 subs. You'll like. :D

- if you haven't already committed to the 715 tops, listen to the 712s over 718s instead - the vocals are clearer and you'll get an all round tighter sound. The 15" driver will play lower, but that's about the only benefit, which is a consideration if you want to be able to use them in tiny venues as full range boxes, or academic if you'll always be running an active system.

- stick a PAT label or inventory tag over the "P****" badge on your 4080 - it will make your rack generally better :P

- merry xmas :D

Do intend to use two 718 subs per side, and yes already got 715's. Just trying to get them powered with whaat I already have. I like the qsc amps but others have said on harmony cenral that 1500 watts into them is way to much, so getting worried now.

Do intend to use two 718 subs per side

What I'm saying is also try two 718s per side when you can only use one MHF box per side.

others have said on harmony cenral that 1500 watts into them is way to much, so getting worried now.

They're rated 800wrms. 1,500w will hurt them if you are playing sine waves, or pumping distorted dumbstep™ through them... but I'd assumed from your profile and website you would be using the system, as a covers band, to play live music through. As I've already indicated, JBL drivers are power hungry and 1,500w will make them sound nice and provided your system is set up correctly, I cannot see why you'll have any problems.

I only have 2 715's so will only be using one amp qsc pl230 tp power them

eh? you said;

I have two qsc pl230 amps in my rack I would like to use for mid/tops 715's. these give out 625 wpc @ 8 ohms, not enough really.

I'm confused. If you hang an SRX715 off each channel, they'll only get 625w each (assuming your data for the PL230 is correct).... which I understood to be why you were looking to run them bridged in the first place. Or have I missed something?

Archived