Peavey black widow recone

johndenim

Don't know about whether it's worth it. I've had recones from this guy and it's always been worth it for me but I don't need to pay carriage costs because he's just up the road.

He's old school (in a good way) and a phone call is the best way to contact him.

With Black Widow, you buy a new basket (as John said) and, once you get it out of the speaker, need only a spanner to change it yourself in a couple of minutes. When I used to run a lot of Peavey speakers, we kept our own stock of spare baskets in the workshop, and in the van. A big plus side for Peavey speakers.

I'd say definitely worth doing.

Just out of interest, are there any drivers out there with field replaceable voice coils?

As far as I know, you will always have to replace the cone as well but not necessarily the whole basket. However, a complete basket replacement is much easier as you don't have to worry so much about centering the voice coil to prevent it rubbing against the side of the gap.

James.

Hi John,

With many quality brands of speakers a recone kit is exactly that - a cone with voice coil and spider that you have to painstakingly centre and glue into place - a tricky job which has to be done right.

Although the Peavey "basket job" is more expensive because you're buying whole chassis of the driver. it does mean you can do it anywhere, without special tools and it doesn't require great skill - just a bit of care.

I've done a few Peavey Black Widow basket cases, and because the drivers are very good I'd say it'd be worth it.

PA.

Don't know about whether it's worth it. I've had recones from this guy and it's always been worth it for me but I don't need to pay carriage costs because he's just up the road.

He's old school (in a good way) and a phone call is the best way to contact him.

RMJ gets my vote but with delivery/collection would probably cost the same as a recone kit from Peavey.

Recone kits are brill to recover the widows - however, make sure you follow instructions about cleaning the air gap etc where the coil goes even vacuum it (sawdust...) and then use folded painters' masking tape as the Peavey instructions indicate to wipe away iron filings/dust, these could scratch/trap the coil and cause early failure.

Personally I never really liked the sound of 10" Peavey's but the 12/15s for bass proved worth the rebuild, rather thatn messing around to find a suitable replacement. Peavey tends to be a bit sparce in its description of driver parameteres relative to other manufacturers.

Archived