Big Blue Bear

Banjax

Hi All.

I'm looking for someone willing and able to make a big blue bear costume. I've tried professional mascot makers and they're pretty pricey. It's for occasional use only, so ideally I'd like to find someone who'll do it for material costs (plus a bit).

Here's a link to the cartoon version of the bear we're looking for ... Big Blue Bear

many thanks

PC

Can't quite grasp why occasional use only means that someone should knock it up on the cheap...can you?

A lot of the posts on this forum bemoan the fact that folk in the industry are "expected" to work for very little or for the "experience". And here you are expecting the same. I daresay being skilled enough to design and construct a bear costume comes at the cost of a few years hard gained experience.

Offering them the opportunity to knock it up at cost, "(plus a bit)" seems to be a bit cheapskate. Perhaps the bear builder's bank will allow them to pay "just a bit" of their mortgage???

Paul

There are plenty of people out there who could make one but not any I can think of who would do it for free. Last time I did something similar there were 5 people involved in different parts of the process, all of whom had to be paid, and the whole thing took about 6 weeks from first meeting to finished costume.

The cartoon linked to above makes it look like the bear is sitting on a dog (with its legs wrapped around the dog's head - I hesitate to think why) whilst listening to a strangely-shaped iPod. Do you want the dog and the iPod incorporated into the costume?

Haha It's a tree stump, not a dog!! :angry: No it's just the bear I'm after. He does other things to - like riding a tricycle and bullying small birds (of the feathered variety).

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Banjax

Why do you think that someone would want to spend days working for nothing, and have their work room covered in blue fur, so that you can have a cheap bear costume?

I've quite often done things for other people (including from requests via this forum) without charging if it helps their projects. Money ain't the only thing that makes the world go round, whatever the song says.

I've quite often done things for other people (including from requests via this forum) without charging if it helps their projects.

Though do you often do Market Research for free?

I sometimes do things cheap/free too but I will always have a reason to do so, it may be altruistic (they are friends, it is a cause I agree with) or it may be self interest (I hope to get more work in the future). So, as I asked

Why do you think that someone would want to spend days working for nothing, and have their work room covered in blue fur, so that you can have a cheap bear costume?

You are right

Money ain't the only thing that makes the world go round, whatever the song says.
but, unfortunately, it is the only thing that puts food on the table and shoes on my kids feet.

• 2 weeks later...
The Playhouse Theatre in Whitstble have a large Blue Bear in their costume stock. It is more of a comical costume with a big round head, but may be of interest. Unfortunately the hands and feet are missing, however, white gloves and shoes work well! Please get in touch if this is of interest and I can make some enquiries...

Archived