ETC Expression insight 3 - fixture issur

litemog

Currently programming a show with 14 MAC 300's on an ETC Insight 3 desk. I'm having a problem using the fixture selection to create submasters and focus points. If I select all 14 fixtures within a Q using the fixture button and solo them, I can create a submaster or focus point which disregards all generic channels and just takes the information relating to the 14 fixtures. However I cannot select a sub group within the 14 fixtures. If I try and select ,for example, 4 of the fixtures from a Q to create the submaster or focus point I still end up with the other ten fixtures as well. If I create the sub or focus point by manually entering the channel ranges relating to only the fixtures I require this works fine, but is a very time consuming method. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just a limitation of what is now a relatively ancient moving light desk?

Currently programming a show with 14 MAC 300's on an ETC Insight 3 desk. I'm having a problem using the fixture selection to create submasters and focus points. If I select all 14 fixtures within a Q using the fixture button and solo them, I can create a submaster or focus point which disregards all generic channels and just takes the information relating to the 14 fixtures. However I cannot select a sub group within the 14 fixtures. If I try and select ,for example, 4 of the fixtures from a Q to create the submaster or focus point I still end up with the other ten fixtures as well. If I create the sub or focus point by manually entering the channel ranges relating to only the fixtures I require this works fine, but is a very time consuming method. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just a limitation of what is now a relatively ancient moving light desk?

I have a feeling your problems are because I don't think the software can do selective recording/updating.

I've been trying to think how best to do this. I've not used the insight, my experience is on the Express, and is a little rusty, but it's the same operating software, just with some more buttons! I'm also on a mac, and can't try out my theory using the offline editor, so I'm sure there's a better way to do this.

As a work around try recording a focus point in blind. keystrokes something like: *Blind* *focus point* *enter* to get into the focus points screen in blind, then *record* *Focus point* *11* *enter* should record a blank focus point 11. Then in live you can select your fixtures, make alterations, remembering any values that turn red on the channel display will be recorded into the focus point, then use the update command *update* *focus point* *11* *enter*.

As I said all that should then be recorded/updated into the focus point are any attribute values that have turned red, and therefore have been edited. I'm not sure that the software is sophisticated enough to be able to tell it only to record information from certain fixtures.

Thinking about it, the other way to do it, is to use one focus point for each mover in each cue. So in cue 1, mover 1 references focus point 1, mover 2 references focus point 2, etc, etc, then you don't need to worry too much about what else is in the focus points. I know the express is limited to 99 focus points, not sure about the insight. Not the ideal way to do it, but it could get you out of a hole?

Neil

Archived