Pulse SPK40 Speakers

Biro

Looking for some opinions on these to see if anyone has heard them -

Its your typical Am-Dram group who are looking to turn their village hall into a theatre once again.

As a company we have supplied them with gear for a few years now, and its mostly been 4 cabs on sticks and they have left it at that..

Musing through the CPC catalogue I came across these: http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/47568-speakers-...0-bk-pulse.html

Now, the quality I assume will not be top notch, and there are variations on this cab in terms of power and active or passive, but my thought was buying in a load of these and having more smaller speakers as opposed to the four that are currently broke.

I am not really looking to fix what isn't broke, however I am more curious to hear opinions on them from anyone who has used them and in what application you have used them.

Biro

These look more like background music speakers to me, I suppose it depends on how many you're thinking of having!

They look similar if not the same (this counts for nothing these days mind you!) as some we had from Monacor a few years back to fit-out a chinese restaurant. They were ok and the brackets were sturdy and useful. But these were for background music, not a theatre. You'll have to suck it and see.

We have 4 in our board room at work.

Great for stuff played on the interactive whiteboard, and for dvd's and marketing stuff, but I'd certainly not employ them for theatre use. I actually am currently using one as an MD's monitor speaker. It sits on top of an old mic stand and they tend to have it at about waist height just next to them. It wouldn't cut it in any of the venues I do, even with a fair few of them. As you add more cabinets, the set up time and processing required for delays and stuff starts to outweigh any saving by having smaller cabinets.

Mind me asking how all 4 of the speakers you'd normally use are broken?

Guess it does depend a little on what you're putting through them. Radio mics? Stage mics? Sound effects? Thinking of my local am dram's, even if they aren't using mics they still always want thunder, or a gunshot, or some other reasonably key sound effect. I'm afraid in this case, these wouldn't cut it for me.

We have 4 in our board room at work.

Great for stuff played on the interactive whiteboard, and for dvd's and marketing stuff, but I'd certainly not employ them for theatre use. I actually am currently using one as an MD's monitor speaker. It sits on top of an old mic stand and they tend to have it at about waist height just next to them. It wouldn't cut it in any of the venues I do, even with a fair few of them. As you add more cabinets, the set up time and processing required for delays and stuff starts to outweigh any saving by having smaller cabinets.

Mind me asking how all 4 of the speakers you'd normally use are broken?

Guess it does depend a little on what you're putting through them. Radio mics? Stage mics? Sound effects? Thinking of my local am dram's, even if they aren't using mics they still always want thunder, or a gunshot, or some other reasonably key sound effect. I'm afraid in this case, these wouldn't cut it for me.

Naah you mis-read, they are not broken at all. Currently using 4 EV SX-80s, and no complaints whatsoever I was just thumbing through the catalogue and thought I would ask.

You've gotta excuse my mistake, but off the back of this comment...

.......my thought was buying in a load of these and having more smaller speakers as opposed to the four that are currently broke.

... I kinda got the message that your 4 existing speakers weren't working!

Personally I'd be sticking with the EV's. If we're really talking small amateur pantomime, the audience numbers really don't justify a multi-speaker setup. Hell the majority of the Alhambra in Bradford (1500 ish seats) is covered by 6 cabinets. There are under-balcony delays, but on the whole it's largely done by 6 boxes. Yep they're meyer and a fair bit bigger than yours, but I'm sure you get the point.

I guess the real question is, are you trying to do the job better? Or are you trying to do the same job, cheaper, while keeping your other cabinets free for something else? Both are valid reasons for asking your question, but I think each one will yield different answers.

I personally wouldn't be buying lots of new cabinets just for a one-off job. Get your existing boxes nice and high so they carry. I filled the Refectory at Leeds uni with 6 boxes a couple of days ago. There were 800 people in the audience. With the right delays and the cabinets at a decent height, there were no problems at all.

You've gotta excuse my mistake, but off the back of this comment...
.......my thought was buying in a load of these and having more smaller speakers as opposed to the four that are currently broke.

... I kinda got the message that your 4 existing speakers weren't working!

Personally I'd be sticking with the EV's. If we're really talking small amateur pantomime, the audience numbers really don't justify a multi-speaker setup. Hell the majority of the Alhambra in Bradford (1500 ish seats) is covered by 6 cabinets. There are under-balcony delays, but on the whole it's largely done by 6 boxes. Yep they're meyer and a fair bit bigger than yours, but I'm sure you get the point.

I guess the real question is, are you trying to do the job better? Or are you trying to do the same job, cheaper, while keeping your other cabinets free for something else? Both are valid reasons for asking your question, but I think each one will yield different answers.

I personally wouldn't be buying lots of new cabinets just for a one-off job. Get your existing boxes nice and high so they carry. I filled the Refectory at Leeds uni with 6 boxes a couple of days ago. There were 800 people in the audience. With the right delays and the cabinets at a decent height, there were no problems at all.

Ahh dam, I was trying to say that I am not trying to fix what ain't broke, but somehow it came out like that.... Thats my bad.

The EVs definitely still work.

As a lot of our work revolves around putting delay lines into places, and sometimes very small but long venues, we were toying with the idea of something smaller and cheaper. The EVs deliver great results, and by no means do we want to replace them, but it was more just a cost thing that highlighted the CPC cabs in question. I of course assumed they were cheap for a reason but wanted to confirm my thoughts.

Archived