Video Projection in Cold Temperatures

Hi Guys,

I have an event this thursday in edinburgh whereby I am projecting onto a building with two Panasonic PTD-W10000 projectors "piggy backed" together.

Can anyone shed any light onto the safe operating temperatures for the projector as I cannot seem to find the information on the specification document (or I might not be looking in the right place).

Outside of the Safety issues of putting staging and trussing up in >0 degree temperatures, and also the safe operating conditions for the video camera, this is one thing that I feel will decide whether it will be a go or not.

Cheers

Iain

Hi Iain,

This link S_PT-D10000U.pdf shows the operating temp as 0-45c, humidity 10%-80% (no condensation).

The forecast for Edinburgh, Thursday night, is -6c.

With this kind of scenario, the projectors really need good shelter (e.g. the back of a truck) and additional heating. Also keep the projectors running all the time to prevent condensation, and the same goes for your camera.

Good luck!

Dave

I wouldn't expect any problems at -6C. Once you've got them lamped up they will be self-heating anyway - I agree about keeping them on all the time.

The worst thing about gigs at that sort of temperature is that all the cables become really stiff and lx tape becomes non-sticky.

Having done very similar jobs in similar conditions, once you get up and running, it shouldnt be a problem, however ive had problems when projectors wouldnt fire up at -8 due to the fans refusing to spin. Im assuming that either due to the different expansions between metal and plastic or that a small amount of frozen condensation caused them to seize. 20 minutes of warmth from a red rad cured the problem and once running there were no issues.

What you projecting and where?

Make sure you let the lenses adjust to the temperature and don't bring cameras that have got cold into a warm space as you'll get internal fog in the lens which will prevent you from shooting for a while.

The projectors should be ok with the temperature, but you will want to build them a little house anyway as it might well rain / snow. Fire them up early and keep them running in a decent sized weather proof house and you'll have somewhere nice and warm to sit whilst doing the lineup!

Also, watch out for anything battery powered (your camera?). Batteries really do not like the cold and lose capacity very very quickly.

A few years ago I was involved in the opening of the XScape indoor snow slope in West Yorks. The BBC were in the snow slope doing a live link into the evening news, when their camera shut down while live on air because the battery pack got too cold.

thanks for the advice guys. Must appreciated and points I will bear in mind in the future

It was an out door event in the centre of edinburgh, but the client has postponed the event until new year due to 2 feet of snow on the ground and temperatures threatening a wind chill of now down to -20 tomorrow night!

From an artic scotland... Over and out!

One 'thought' to consider is the cooling aspect - the 0 degrees could be in reference to the liquid cooling circuit that the units have. I'd be fairly happy that if they use a similar system to the Barco units, then the circuit is filled with a coolant of pretty much the specification as that used in modern cars. If this is the case, then it shouldn't freeze in the circuit, as I think the coolant will keep it good down to -18 IIRC. But a cursory check either with Panasonic, or ensuring that the coolant hasn't frozen prior to start up might be an idea.

That said I do tend to get paranoid about things like this.

• 2 weeks later...
All worked fine. B-)

Did an outside job in London this week. Barco FLM-R20+ was too cold to start (temp error) so we had to move it inside for a while. Struck first time after that and subsequently had no problems at -5c.

Also had a Panasonic PT-D10000 as backup which powered up fine and didn't need warming by the fire. Temp warning cleared after a minute.

Dave

PS The rear of a FLM is premium heating space at times like these.

• 4 weeks later...

Just out of interest, where are you projecting?

I can't think of many good places to project in the centre of edinburgh...

Hey Guys,

My client pulled the gig after the 3 subsequent dump of snow and relating -22 temperatures that were threatening.

Its now going a head on the 24 Feb.

@cameroncoats - I am building a rostra and truss flying the projectors "piggybacked" from a 4m high struss, and shooting onto the surface of the mcewan hall facing bristo square.

Archived