Any CPC budget jack plugs worth looking at?

Alec

Normally I wouldn't use any connector other than Neutrik, but I need to do some cabling work at a venue on a budget that doesn't want to stretch that far.

My personal view is buy once, forget the pain of the cost, and then appreciate the fact that they carry on working. But the budget is a sticking point here, for the work to be done now, and Neutrik jacks will more than double the budget. In my experience, the key benefit of the Neutrik jacks is the reliable & quick to use strain relief chuck.

So, the question is, what are any of these jack plugs like from CPC?:

Pro Signal jack

Jack mono

Pulse jack (plus handy colour coding rings)

Pulse jack (plus handy colour coding rings)

Do any of them have decent chuck style strain relief, or are they all nasty crimpy style. Had high hopes for the Rean and Amphenol jacks, but a bit more of a dig around shows that they too are still just crimp strain relief.

Do Neutrik have a patent on their chuck strain relief? I'm struggling to believe that there isn't some budget pretender that does more than make a bigger bodied look-alikey jack plug!

the 1st is a chuck type, but the plastic collar is prone to breaking if overtightened or has a good yank on it.

2nd one, is ok but has crimp strain releif.

3rd one looks like a copy of the 1st but with a colour coded bit.

4th one looks interesting, if you buy a couple let me know what they are like, they look to be essentially the same as the first and 3rd, but with a metal collar, so in theory solving the coller splitting problem.

1st, 3rd and 4th are fine.

These are 'inspired' by the neutrik and the main difference is in the quality of the plastic, the collets are a little softer and the back covers a little harder. On an install (rather than touring) they will be just great.

But this is really repeating what Tim has just said!

4th one looks interesting, if you buy a couple let me know what they are like, they look to be essentially the same as the first and 3rd, but with a metal collar, so in theory solving the coller splitting problem.

That problem goes, but then the plastic bit on the cable comes out of the metal bit under hard use.

Appreciate the feedback from you all.

In the light of this, I'll be going for "1" as, for 25+ quantities, these & the stereo version come in around a quarter of my best Neutrik price, which isn't to be sneezed at on this job. Might buy a handful of "3" for the colour coding kits. Handily, a single one of these plugs will give me 4 spare colour rings to play with.

If only it was easier to see what's inside connectors in catalogues!

Archived