Making these Disco Lights into Footlights

andrewg112

Hello,

I was having a clear out yesterday and I re-discovered these. Last Year, I was given: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=ohia75&s=7 . Theres actually another one, meaning I have 4. I was initially going to take them to the dump, as they are very bulky and dont have a controller with them. Thats when I thought they may be good footlights for the front of the stage. They have this controller plug on them

link

I want to put a individual power source into them, and make them DMX (Nothing fancy, just fade at 100% to 0%) I wondered if anyone has any thoughts on doing this, or am I wasting my time!

Thanks,

Andrew

One option to make use of them could be to make up some bulgin (which is the connector you've pictured) to IEC or similar jumpers, so that the lights could be controlled from a standard dimmer... you would need to know how many channels they are wired into though, and also the relevant bulgin pinout.

One option to make use of them could be to make up some bulgin (which is the connector you've pictured) to IEC or similar jumpers, so that the lights could be controlled from a standard dimmer... you would need to know how many channels they are wired into though, and also the relevant bulgin pinout.

*COUGH*widowmaker*COUGH*

Looking back through the old posts - stick pat bulgin in the google box and search the blue room - you find that opinion is split on the Bulgin problem. The moulding, in some people's opinion is sufficient for them to generate a pass, while others are 100% certain it's a fail. The jury would seem to be still out on this one.

One option is to do away with the Bulgin and instead fit some trailing power input leads - 4 x individual IEC or 15amp inputs. If you like you could also add pass-thru outputs as well. Of course it is entirely up to you as to whether it is worth the hassle.

Okay, yep. I like the ideas of powering them. I was more confused with the idea of making them DMX, maybe only 3 channels (one for each bulb color) so I can put them into the lighting board. Im guessing this would be quite expensive, and I should buy some floor par cans!

Thanks,

Andrew

Archived