hisys 2's over jbl 718 subs

mkfs9

Hi cant afford top speck tops yet to go with my newly aquired 718 subs. So would my peavey hisys 2 cabs hold out up with these subs.Putting together a small pa that one person can assemble easily. Also need to get a second crossover, again not to expensive is a behringer really that bad.Will be watching out for some 712's but dont see them often.

Hi cant afford top speck tops yet to go with my newly aquired 718 subs. So would my peavey hisys 2 cabs hold out up with these subs.Putting together a small pa that one person can assemble easily. Also need to get a second crossover, again not to expensive is a behringer really that bad.Will be watching out for some 712's but dont see them often.

On the crossover front, we've had a pair of the Behringer ones for probably 4 years now and have never had an issue with them. Up to 3 way stereo crossover, or 4 way mono, delay etc, never had an issue.

On the other hand have had some BSS ones which both failed ... the BSS ones would be worth fixing, but the Behringers are cheap enough to justify just replacing. We only use the Behringers for DJ monitors, but I don't see any issues - they do what they say on the box, cheaply. :D

Whilst the SRX series doesn't win any awards for efficiency, on the plus side they are nice sounding boxes when powered properly and as cabs go, fairly light (SRX728 excluded)

What amplifiers have you currently got? The SRX718 needs 1,200w to 1,600w to bring out the best in it, and in return give you around 123dB/1m.

Your current Peavey tops? Well, I would normally say, "you can't polish a turd", although recall being corrected on this point recently, being advised you can polish a turd, but what you end up with is... a polished turd. On a more serious note, there's no reason you can't use them as mid-high boxes until something better comes along, removing some of that trademark Peavey LF muddly, flappy sound might make them sound slightly better, I suppose.

The mid high boxes I'd recommend you seriously consider are the SRX712M. At just 15kg they are highly portable and a perfect partner to the SRX718 subs. Again, they like some power up them, so be generous on that front.

Processing wise on a budget, you won't do better than the Behringer DCX2496, this is widely considered to be one of Uli's best creations and at just over £200 will outperform many other LMS' that cost two or three times its price.

I thought these subs were efficient

SRX718 is rated 95dB/1w/1m. Let's compare with EV's RX118,rated at 98dB/1w/1m. Put simply, giving them the same amplifier power, one RX118 will produce the same SPL as two SRX718s.

If we then compare the SRX718 with a highly efficient 18" sub, d&b audiotechnik's Q-SUB, ~107dB/1w/1m, this box will give you 133dB/1m, with just 600w of power. To achieve the same 133dB from the SRX718, you would need circa ten cabinets and 12,000 watts of power.

some people say you should not overpowre by much.

I'm not suggesting you frazzle them, but they certainly like 1.5 to 2.0 times the RMS.

JBL boxes generally compensate for their reduced efficiency by having high power handling capacities, obviously when speccing a system you must ensure you have big enough amplifiers and suitable power provision to use them to their optimum.

Archived