Creating that awesome LED backlight effect

Munro

Hi guys,

Does anyone remember that TV that was released about 4 years ago, that everyone was wowing over; you could put it on the wall and it had some LEDs in the back that worked out the average colour and mixed it RGB on your wall.

I saw one in John Lewis last week and I can't remember the name of it. Anyhow, what I want to do is the same, except for a projector screen.

I have 8 LED battons, which are DMX controlled. I'm seriously thinking about buying MagicQ Pc with the dongle soon, and I was wondering how you guys think I could get the LEDs to do this effect live as the colours on the screen change, I thought about using a pixel mapper, but I have no experience with them, so I don't know if it is possible to average the colour out. I want to do this to enhance movies.

sounds your getting at a product by martin called EvenLED.

clicky

Jon

Not quite. I'm looking for something to surround the projector screen, and I already have some LED fixtures, my worry is that they will be treated as an individual pixel, instead of picking the areas pixels and picking a colour that complements them all.

Anyhow, what I want to do is the same, except for a projector screen.

I have 8 LED battons, which are DMX controlled. I'm seriously thinking about buying MagicQ Pc with the dongle soon, and I was wondering how you guys think I could get the LEDs to do this effect live as the colours on the screen change, I thought about using a pixel mapper, but I have no experience with them, so I don't know if it is possible to average the colour out. I want to do this to enhance movies.

Run MagicQ Media center on the same PC as the source of the video for the projection screen. Use the "live feed" function to capture the video from the PC screen and send it to MagicQ. Then setup a LED grid in MagicQ and map the various heads youve got to the relevant spaces in the LED grid.

However, the Media center application won't average out a pixel value over several points, and will just take an individual point to send across. Would be something you'd have to play around with to get the best effect if you've only got 8 individual heads.

What sort of media are you planning on using?

Archived