Rackcase systems

sleepytom

I'm needing to get some more rack cases. Upto now I've sworn at gator / skb style racks but I'm looking to get something a bit tougher and smarter looking this time.

I'm looking at some kind of sleeved rack system such as Thon Multiflex or Dragon Cases Rack Pack

I like the idea of some kind of shock protection, and the modular approach of these systems seems ideal to me as I can mix and match the gear without having to spend hours taking things in and out of racks.

Does anyone have any experience of such systems (good or bad) ? or advice as to other manufacturers who make similar products?

thanks

I've been using EMS modular cases for over 10 years. They've been abused quite badly. The only complaint I've ever had is breaking off the plastic moulding that the clamps clamp on to. It's not the cases fault, every one I have broken was down to me shutting them in the dark, or in a cramped place and the lid wasn't properly on, and although the thumb plate was very tight, I persevered and snapped them off. I've done this to four now - but this isn't bad for ten year old racks. Expanding or shortening is a bit of a pain - it's a bit fiddly - but it works. I've used them in various sizes, and they are fine even heavily loaded in 20U format.

I have a couple of the EMS cases and I don't really like them, mine have sufferd some lid damage and I've found that they are too thin for a lot of gear (specifically video gear with bolt on ears often is too wide to fit in the EMS cases)

I'm thinking that this style of case is probably best

http://www.5star-cases.com/Rack_in_Box_Ind.jpg

Thon do a version with multiple different sized stacking inner rack sleeves - this looks like it could be ideal as it is standard and off the shelf with the ability to add more sleeves and external flightcases as kit grows / changes over time. I also like the way the inner rack sleeves are protected from getting bashed up in transit, it should keep the gear looking much better for corporate jobs as the racks that end up being visible are all just inner sleeves which should retain a smart black appearance.

We use a system that was started by CPL AV and is made by 5 Star. Items are sleeved in ply frames, basic modules being 1U and 3U, which then fit in larger briefcases, or if your building a control rack, then there are options on sleeved racks like the image you posted above. There are also tray options which can take routed foam inserts for things like small DA's, radio mic kits etc, and don't cost too much. These can then be mixed and matched within the different sized cases.

It works well from a rental company perspective with the ultimate in flexibility, but isn't the most effective in terms of space. It does mean that you can prep up kit for jobs in racks, cable it up and send it off on the gig, then when it comes back in, break it back in onto the shelves without having to unscrew kit from the racks, but each item is separated.

We deal with Stephen Swann at 5 Star if you want more info.

Archived