Advice and sneak preview

Doris

Some further advice needed for a friend of mine who hopes to get involved in the backstage side of theatre; specific reference to set and prop building. Her name is Allie and she's 28 (starting to read like a lonely-hearts ad, but stick with it) and is about to finish an HND course in antique furniture restoration this summer. She has an interest in all things theatrical (you wanna see her throw a tantrum; wow!) but no knowledge how to get started in it (same-old-same-old really). I'm asking around the people I know and searching out various contact points so’s she can get further advice. Is there anyone out there with specific knowledge and advice concerning this branch of the profession that would be willing to talk to her, either through this page or by p2p Email? On the scrounge again, yes I know. Thanx all. If you want contact details, Email me (phred@wlv.ac.uk) and I’ll pass on the necessary. …………………………………oh, and in case you’re all feeling smug and superior, I’m posting this on the ABTT Green Room and Wigs and Wardrobe sites too, so don’t go running away with the idea your anything special, OK?

Second reason for my return, and a sneak preview, is to let y’all know that, after 15 years here, I’m quitting the Arena Theatre as of July 4th ‘03’ (Independence Day………yes it was deliberate, c’mon, I work in theatre y’ know). Moving to Cornwall (Helston) and though I’m still going to be involved in the business, it’ll be a little more on my terms (and my terms are very reasonable). The point of interest to them as reads this is that the S.M. (as in Stage Manager, stop dribbling all of you) job here will be up for grabs. Not out on ad. yet, but will be in the four weeks or so for a start in probably August/September. If anyone wants to know the background to the space, I’ll dish the dirt either p2p (Email above) or via this site. If you want to apply for the post, then drop a line to; Kevin O’Sullivan – The Arena Theatre – University of Wolverhampton – Wulfruna Street – Wolverhampton – WV1 1SB – West Midlands and let him know you’d like an application form when the job vacancy becomes official (though how much more “official†you can get after my, “Bugger this, I’m off!†I’d be intrigued to know). Thanx for listening. Feedback on the first would be appreciated, best of luck on the second; it’s a job worth having and a fab. space to work in, honest.

Thanx

Doris[/b]

Archived