Mic for female metal vocalist

tinnerz

Hey,

I have been asked by a friend to suggest a microphone for her to use. she is the lead vocalist for a metal/thrash band and her vocal style is somewhere between the vocals in arch enemy and nightwish, an odd but good mix of clear operatic style singing and down low growling ^_^.

all this means I am a little stuck for what to suggest for her, I own a sennheiser e945 which is a great mic however I am concerned it wont hold its own in the low end, although I am yet to here here try it! any thoughts??

thanks

arthur

As someone who knows nightwish.

You really need to trial mics if possible.

To BR members who don't have an appreciation of the musical style, think of heavy rock, with a little opera style vocals.

Shure Beta 58 is worth a look, as well as the Sennhieser E series that you mentioned.

Personal choice rules though, so have you had a chat with the vocalist?

It's not easy to suggest vocal mics in this instance, I work with bands who don't require a low end depth.

Edited to add...

Your concern's regarding the low end, can be just as much mixing desk issue, vs mic issue. You didn't state what desk you were using (or the speakers ) so may be an issue as to the final sound.

Just try everything and see which she is most comfortable with. Without knowing her vocal techniques, flaws and positives it's impossible to say. This thread will just end up being a ''my favourite mic thread''. I'd suggest looking at the audix range though as a starting point.

Hmmm.

I've had similar challenges - and still trying to get it perfect - with a female, a male singer (each varying from GruntGrowl/Sweet to OperaShow voice and some ensemble singing) all wanting to use the centre stage mic at different parts of the set.

Spent half a day auditioning everything in the mic armoury with the singers and...

...found the Beta 58 the best compromise.

The proximity effect (or lack of it) 's a difficulty.

When they return the mic to the mic stand and sing theatrically from half-a-metre back it got very thin-sounding.

Split the mic in to a second channel and EQd differently to compensate, but also placed a condenser next to it to get a useable natural tone to supplement it.

A headset (boom mic) didn't work as it picked up too much ambience, but backline spill on the condenser mic can be exploited rether than fretted over, as the percussion picked up by it compliments the vocal rather than swamping it.

I only run the Beta 58s to monitors.

It's certainly a gig where you feel involved as you're riding faders constantly, and with three channels (four incl FX) for one vocal, having a listen wedge off the desk helps immensely in keeping control of the vocals.

Hope that helps - but I'll be watching this thread for a better answer. ^_^

Hi,

My Band Milo Cho have a very similar vocal style. We're rock/prog/heavy with operatic vocals. Our singer uses a Beta 58a and it really suits her down to the ground, much better on her vox than a standard 58. I'd have also suggested the e845 as, generally, I stick that on a female vox and it just works. It's not as good on male vox imo but that's a huge generalisation.

By far the best mic I've used on her voice was the Rode K2. Really knocked socks off even much more expensive mics in the tests I ran in the studio, but sadly it's just not suited to the stage.

The best advice you've had is to audition lots of different mics to see what suits best.

However, I'd certainly second Dave SA's suggestion that you include the Audix OM range on your shortlist. In my experience they do very nice things with female vocals and also offer excellent rejection of feedback and stage wash. Which mic to try? Well from your description, I'd probably start with the OM6 which should sound nice indeed on the voice as described. However, if you need a tighter pattern, the OM5 is also worth a listen--and if your singer is a "belter" and there are high levels of stage wash, the OM7 is a great "get out of jail free" mic to punch the vocals through the mush.

Bob

If you can try getting your hands on a Shure Beta 87A, we've done several female vocalists where we felt the 58/B58 just weren't doing them justice and opted for the 87A with fantastic results. It now travels everywhere with us and is whipped out whenever we meet a half decent female vocalist.

Tinnerz, where are you based?

87a w./ metal?! I'd avoid a condenser for many reasons. Most of them spill and feedback related.

I was thinking just that. Several of my favourite female vocal mics are condensers--but none are very good where things get loud.

Bob

thank guys, all v helpful advice, unfortunately I am based in sheffield and the band in high wycombe (like 200 miles south), I am getting a chance to work with them in a practise session next wed so I'll have a much better idea of what im looking at. Although geting my hands on various mics to test them is gonna be intereting, I think she currently owns a knock off 58.... and I have a d5 and an e945 and I think of the three the 945 will win but we shall see!

Audix is an interesting idea, I hadn't even considered it even thought I own a d6 wich is an excellent quality mic. when she asked me for advice she was looking for a radio mic system, however I think I have stopped that idea in its tracks for now due to the cost and the 2012 switchover issues...

oh and @lightsource im pretty sure the practice studio they hire has a small formay behringer desk... which cant help but you get what you can afford!

thanks for all the advice!!

Archived