Adding Vocal Reverb & Do I need DI Box?

mrwe1973

I am helping some friends who have a band, they have the following. Acoustic/electric guitar, Keyboard, Lead and backing singer.

This has all been passed through a single (old) amp, then on to the speakers.

They have recently acquired a Soundcraft ES mixing desk, 2 new amps, one for front of stage and one for stage monitors.

The old amp used to provide reverb, but now this is out of the loop and the new (for them) desk does not have it, How do I provide reverb to the signal from the Mic´s. ?

Also the diagram in the instruction manual for the mixer, states that I need an active DI box for the guitar.

Do I need a DI box for the Guitar only or should I have one for each sound source, mic, guitar, keyboard?.

Any help, much appreciated.

The desk has two auxilliary outputs, one will be used with the amp for foldback, and the other output goes to whatever reverb unit you get. Most people, if they have spare channels on the desk, then return the treated effects signal into a spare channel - so you can adjust the eq on it. Sources that need reverb get their aux control turned up, and then that (via a master) goes out the back of the mixer. This is shown in the manual, by the way.

The guitar needs a DI to get into one of the mic inputs - but it probably doesn't matter too much what it is - active, passive cheap or expensive at this level. any other source that's not a mic, will need a DI.

Being honest, if the distance between the instruments and the mixer isn't great (guitar lead length) then you can slap the guitars and keyboards straight into the line inputs on each channel strip - and the soundcraft has enough gain to make it work. It's not the 'right' way - but most times it works if we're only looking at 6m or less.

The old amp used to provide reverb, but now this is out of the loop and the new (for them) desk does not have it, How do I provide reverb to the signal from the Mic´s. ?

You will need an effects unit connected to the aux output then returning on a channel.

Do I need a DI box for the Guitar only or should I have one for each sound source, mic, guitar, keyboard?.

If there is a long distance between the mixer and the gut / keys you will need a DI box to convert the signal into a balanced mic level signal but if the mixer is on the stage with them, going straight into a line input if fine.

Peter

If you are happy with unbalanced for the guitar input I use 1/4 jack to XLR convertor plugs which allow you to simply plug the guitar lead into the XLR mic socket.

You can get them from maplin and are a useful thing to have in your toolbox

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...OrderCode=BV50E

http://images.maplin.co.uk/300/bv50e.jpg

If you are going any distance though, DI's are the way (and again are a useful thing to have in your toolbox)

If you are happy with unbalanced for the guitar input I use 1/4 jack to XLR convertor plugs which allow you to simply plug the guitar lead into the XLR mic socket.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...OrderCode=BV50E

Wowser - look at the price - £5.59 from Maplin!!!

Alternatively, buy this one from CPC for only £1.27...

Of course, the correct way to directly connect a guitar into a sound system properly is to use a DI box, regardless of distance.

But if you can't stretch to the £20 or so for a basic model, and the console really is within 5m of the guitar, I would suggest using the line input rather than the microphone input for 3 reasons. Firstly, it eliminates the risk of applying phantom power to the guitar, which on a console with global phantom power should be a serious consideration. Secondly, the input impedance is higher and though still not nearly high enough for a guitar input, will give better performance than the microphone input. Thirdly, why buy an XLR-jack convertor when there's already a jack on the console!

Archived