BETEC 2010 L3 Unit 63 Temporary Stage Electrical Installations

A small note - the specification was very carefully written so that it could be delivered by a person skilled in stage electrics who is NOT a traditional C&G certificated electrician. The spec is careful to not make it necessary to be delivered by an 'electrician' - however, there is a warning that it may not be suitable for delivery to under 16s - essentially restricting it to 6th form colleges and FE/HE colleges. The unit is not one of those that runs every year, and the current system means BTEC themselves are unable to determine who is running it this year until they wish to have their assessments verified. The new version, starting this month hasn't reached this stage yet.

I have emailed Stewart with a contact he can talk to at Edexcel.

Thanks Paul(s), I was already in contact with edexcel (the person mentioned in your PM). I am interested in peoples experience of the unit and how it is delivered in different centres.

Lots of people are looking at the roll of production electrician and how competence can be quantified across various assessment paths, and how this unit fits alongside others.

One of the things I and others are looking at is how we can support the unit and encourage it's take up and the development of an education pathway for people with and interest in production electricity or those that need to know enough about it to work safely or manage a production aware of the role.

Archived