Problem with a Mac 250+

lightsource

Hi all,

As the topic title suggests, I have a Martin Mac 250+ with a noisy shutter during strobing. I think I've tracked it down to the bottom shutter, but cannot find any problem. It works as it should, at full speed, motor seems fine, nothing seems to be grinding against any other part, nothing appears to be out of shape, nothing is loose, but 1 fixture makes an almighty noise compared to the others.

Any ideas?

try checking where the shutter blade is pop riveted to the adaptor on the motor. Over time the pop rivet can work itself loose and when strobing the fixture will make a louder noise then the others.

when its strobing apply pressure to the shutter blade and adaptor with your finger or a screwdriver to see if the noise disapears, if it does then you just need to re pop rivet the blade back together.

What sort of noise, and when does it make it? Are you absolutely sure its the shutter? With the power off, try moving the shutters by hand. If the motor for the bottom shutter feels stiffer than the others, then you have your answer : replace the offending motor. If the motor feels fine, then it may be an intermittant wiring fault or driver chip fault which is causing the motor to lose steps. This would then mean that the shutter would run into its end stops.

try checking where the shutter blade is pop riveted to the adaptor on the motor. Over time the pop rivet can work itself loose and when strobing the fixture will make a louder noise then the others.

I think that might be it. If I touch the adaptor (where the rivets are) or the tip of the blade while the unit is strobing, the rattle stops. The bottom shutter blade is very slightly loose on it's mounting plate.

What sort of noise, and when does it make it?

Sounds like this:

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee233/l...nt=DSCF4827.mp4

I think Stewart has found the problem though

this is generally from 4 things

like stated. the pop rivet

also the range is set by blades hitting a stopper, which is usually covered in rubber.. sometimes the rubber wears through to the metal.. this will create a clear metal-metal "clunk" sound.

That the shutter blade locking screws have worked loose and hte blade is moving slightly on the motors output arm..

I had this exact fault today with a "fineart fine2000" (ie mac 2000 performance clone) this is more of a scratchy squeek sound.

finally that the shutter blades to tend to warp a little after a lot of use and can start to scratch on anything in the way... this can be easily fixed by taking it out and flatting it on a desk. this is more of a "tingy" scratch noise.

is it bad that I can tell from the ground on a stage with a mac hung at 6mtrs exactly what I need to look at when I get back to the workshop, just by the noise it makes????

is it bad that I can tell from the ground on a stage with a mac hung at 6mtrs exactly what I need to look at when I get back to the workshop, just by the noise it makes????

:wub: No comment!

Just to add, I've now done a temp fix, and it works perfectly now. It was the rivets, just took the blade assembly out and managed to squeeze the rivets tighter with a pair of plyers.

I'll replace them when the big tools come out

Cheers all!

Archived