Wall mounting Peavey PR10 speakers

gotty

Has anyone a recommendation on a wall mount for the Peavey PR10 speakers (ideally with tilt ability).

I know the PR10 has 3/4" hole, plus 4 fixing bolt holes top and bottom, and I was looking at the Stageline PAST-500 (http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/P/2366/PAST-500...ALL+MOUNT+STAND)

I'd also appreciate any thoughts on secondary restraints (safety chains) as these speakers will be mounted in a school hall which is also a public venue.

Many thanks in advance.

gotty, I take it the units going to mounted permanently?

If so then you need to mount them as high as possible to either side of the stage and aim them in slightly and down slightly, ie. into the audience. (Being high up makes it more difficult for them to be vandalised or thieved too...)

The tech reasons for this, and apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs, can be found here:

http://www.astralsound.com/vertical_pattern.htm

similarly there is a section on the horizontal pattern.

(Btw Astralsound have a huge amount of other technician guides you might useful too.)

You have found a wall mount with tilt mechanism and if they take the weight of the speakers then they might be as good as anything else (I think you may have misread the size of the top hat hole).

Ref the chains or perhaps safety wires, you would have to google for suitable kit which is rated, with a certificate, for perhaps ten times the weight of the speaker weight.

The manual, assuming I have the correct model says this:

When mounting or flying, you must

use a suitable safety chain or wire

rope to secure the speaker. Loop

this through the top handle and

firmly attach to a suitable

structural member as indicated by

a certified structural engineer.

So that means you would have to approach the school authorities, presumably, so that they could ask the LEA to send someone who is recognised by them to do the structural engineering thing. I would further presume you would need a "name" with letters after it to satisfy the school insurance company. Might be a good notion to ask the engineer bloke for advice on mounting the brkts anyway, ergo so YOU don't end up as duty scapegoat...and get it in writing, ** laughs out loud **.

This is assuming further you are allowed to drill holes in school property anyway...might be a maintenance team elsewhere who look after that sort of thing anyway?

HTH

Thanks for the reply.

gotty, I take it the units going to mounted permanently?

Yes they are.

If so then you need to mount them as high as possible to either side of the stage and aim them in slightly and down slightly, ie. into the audience. (Being high up makes it more difficult for them to be vandalised or thieved too...)

I'm aware of the spread patterns, sound drop off etc. :-) I spent 35 years in the audio broadcast business in resources and operations, eventually as a senior manager, so this sort of thing is second nature, as is H&S aspect of fixing. My enquiry is more based on what's currently available as I'm pretty well out of touch.

Although there's a stage, the main performance area is the 3m of the hall in front of the 1m apron, so the speakers need to be mounted about 4m down the (20m) side walls. They'll be mounted at about 3m high, and a preliminary test suggests that we'll have about a 6dB spread from front to back of the hall which I think is adequate.

However, wall structures and the fact that the hall is also used for ball games limit the exact positioning. I've said to the school that the final positioning will depend on the advice of their fixing contractor.

(I think you may have misread the size of the top hat hole).

I don't know where the 3/4" came from (a senior moment) ... 35mm of course.

I raised the issue of fixings (and electrical testing) with the school right at the outset, and pointed out in the formal proposal that they must arrange a suitably competent person to do all fixings and electrical safety testing of the equipment (I'm PAT qualified, but don't have the test kit, nor would I really want to get involved at that level).

Basically, this is all being done in a very small rural school, and on a donation budget, so funds are limited. However, responsibility for fixing/testing/insurance rests with the school (although I have written the risk assessment for them).

Archived