Mac 500 Iris Frozen

JohnMac

Hi Folks,

I've started to service a dozen Mac500s which live over a ice rink. About half of them have developed faults with the Iris, some have become stuck open, other have stuck with the iris closed.

I'm thinking that the constant damp and cold has affected the properties of the graphite lubricant powder. Is this a common fault with MH lanterns in this type of environment? Has any one tried a PTFE dry film anti-stick lubricant, if so where you successful in curing the problem?

(apparently some of the hight temperature oils have a lower operating temperature limit of 23 degrees or so)........

Or was there a batch manufactured with dodgy irises?

Regards

John Mac.

Hi John:

I would be inclined to say that it's the environment that's screwed the Irises (iri?) anyway... I'd suggest that you give either Martin or Wilkes Iris a call, both in the UK, and I'm sure that they would be able to give you a sterling suggestion on the lubricant.

Good luck if you have to rebuild the irises though. It took what felt like days to get the VL6 irises back together when I did my S300 course....

Cheers

Smiffy

I was in the ice skating rink that you refer to just last week and I remember glancing up, thinking to myself what a nightmare they must be to maintain (strangely enough they were powered up, even though there didnt appear to be any reason for this)

you can also see the negative effects on the peavey speakers they have in there

it could be argued that as the Lamp would provide a great deal of heat, then it would be better to keep the units on forever. Doubt you will find many venues wishing to go to those lengths to save their kit vs savings on electricity bills

The thinking on keeping the lanterns powered, is that the transformer and main electronics boards are kept on to help keep everything warmish in the base. Air Temperature is around 12 degrees C, Helps stop 'dew' forming should the 'air' temperature suddenly drop.

(warm air carries more moisture than cold).

The Grills on the speakers are developing a surface rusty brown finish, I think thats the next job on the list after sorting the lights out, delving into the inners of the sound system.

Have freed the iris and giving it some anti-stick PTFE Dry Film lubricant, so will see what happens.

Thanks for your ideas, A question to ask at PLASA this week-end / next week.

Regards

John Mac.

Archived