Speakon cables

P. Funk

There seems to be some confusion as to what 'active' can be used to describe. Some people use it in the way I was and others do use it to describe powered speakers... somebody set us straight!!!

I supose one has to be clear what is the subject of the sentence, an "active speaker" is clearly one with an internal amplifier, an "activly crossed over system" is clearly one with an external active crossover but an active 2 way speaker could be an unclear discription depending on subject.

James

In my experience +2 & -2 are used as your plus and minus. D&B speaker systems output sub base on +1 & -1 so as it becomes more difficult to destroy your speakers.

A lot of companies now run both Left and Right speaker signals down four core cable. Therefore you only need a single cable to the truss where you then insert a splitter to break out your left and right feeds for your speakers. This is a great use of the 4 pole speakon connector.

OK, to quote Canford and AES45 (provisional IEC standard);-

Full Range 1+ & 1-

Stereo Left 1± Stereo Right 2±

Bi-Amp LF 1± HF 2±

Tri-Amp LF 1± N/C 2± Mid 3± HF 4±

Quad Amp LF 1± Low Mid 2± Mid 3 HF 4±

100v(suggested use, not to AES45) 2+ and 2-

In my experience +2 & -2 are used as your plus and minus. D&B speaker systems output sub base on +1 & -1 so as it becomes more difficult to destroy your speakers.

Actually it is the other way round d&b run full range speakers on 1+,1- and then use 2+,2- for bass.

Peter

Archived