Does a website help?

tom_the_LD

I am a self employed contracting designer and engineer in lighting and video.

I have had a website [timperrett.co.uk] ever since I started my self employed work, partly it was because the design and tech behind it interested me. The costs of hosting are included in my email package and other than buying a copy of Dreamweaver a couple of years ago, I have only my time in terms of costs involved for updating it. It is not the most trendy site, but I hope not a basic looking one either.

I use the website as a tool - it is not a stand-alone marketing gimmick which brings me work out of the blue [although I have had some random enquiries in the past]. I may chat to a prospective new client who I have been recommended to by another self employed tech or other production company client. They say, can you send us a CV and I email it to them, they see that my email address contains my domain name - they then maybe curiously look up the site. They get to see further endorsements of my skill through photographs of my design work, brief news stories of the types of roles I have taken on recently, a bit about me and what I am like. I can put more information on a site than you can get on a two side A4 CV. I see it as another opportunity to reinforce the idea that I am the person they should have on the job.

They may also visit the site because I encourage them to - making reference to it in passing - stating that there are examples of my work online.

I am currently working on a testimonial element to the site as I think this may also be of use as a tool.

I know prospective clients who have now become big clients for me looked at my emailed CV, my website and had a personal recommendation. It may not be completely necessary, but if it even assists slightly in giving my client the confidence to put me onsite for the first time, then I am all for it. I accept that it is a lot easier because of the design element to some of my work.

I also know that several of my clients browse my website on a semi-regular basis to see what I have been up to and it leads to other job roles on site which they may not have been aware that I was capable of.

Comments back to me about any of this are most welcome. tp

I have had a website [timperrett.co.uk] ever since I started my self employed work, partly it was because the design and tech behind it interested me. The costs of hosting are included in my email package and other than buying a copy of Dreamweaver a couple of years ago, I have only my time in terms of costs involved for updating it. It is not the most trendy site, but I hope not a basic looking one either.

This is a nice looking site Tim. At the moment it can only work by you sending people there, as it would be impossible for someone to find it using, say Google, because having looked at it, there are no search terms or coding behind it (search engine optimisation). With search engine optimisation (SEO) people can find you without having heard about you before. Like you say you are using it as an addition to a recommendation or such - so it works for you, for new people starting out though, no body would ever find this site.

Maybe the question should be "why wouldn't you have a website?"

As long as it is professional looking with a light, neutral, professional tone, you can't really go wrong. Availability updated regularly is not a bad thing.

As an employer the only other thing that can work against you is over selling yourself. Make sure you target all work you are happy to do. If you are happy teching a single microphone all day in a hotel basement, don't just plaster your site with the 3 largest events you have ever worked on, giving the impression that you don't get out of bed unless its a U2 gig. You don't want a website that people look at and think 'Oh, he only does big events'. So make it very clear what you are prepared to do. I know freelancers who are happy to work in the warehouse/unload trucks as long as the daily rate is the same but I wonder how many would actually say that on their website in between the photos of the half million pound job they once worked on in 2005.

Good advice from JazzAV there - I must admit that I have, in the past, done all of those things - and am sure will look back and realise I still do to a degree! Maturity is a wonderful thing!!!

There was a mention there of availability update - a debate I have had with myself and discussions I have had with clients.

I used to have a diary on the site, for which I gave out the link to particular clients. I ran a trial whilst I was on tour as I had breaks in between most of the dates and it worked well for that period. I have since ceased its existence, as I would prefer the client to call me and talk to them direct about it, then I can manage the relationship a little better and work out what type of work I am turning down, when and from whom. I know some of them would just like to look at an up-to-date diary and not have to bother phoning me, and maybe I would get more work that way, but I like to try and client handle directly - it's just my style I suppose. There are of course potential update issues as well, although I am aware of online diary systems that are linked to your computer's calendar etc - but it gives yet another diary to manage on a pretty much daily basis.

I think a basic website can be useful. Like others have said, having a place for file/CV sharing with clients can come in handy. I do get the occasional random visit through my site, but it really only takes one or two a year to cover the running costs. Also, if you do get recommended to people by word of mouth, they may not always get your contact details so having a website can help with that (helps if it can be found easily through search engines though).

On the availability side of things, google calendar is quite handy. It gives you code that you can put on your site, and is easily sync'd with most PC based calendars, and syncs with mobile devices quite well too. There's probably loads of different ones out there that do the same/more but I just went with that one as I already use google webmaster tools (very useful when doing a bit of home-made SEO).

If you do have an availability calendar, make sure you keep it updated, or remove it from your site. A completely empty calendar can give a bad impression of you to a potential client.

A bad website is probably worse than no web site.

What constitutes a bad web site - one that looks like it was thrown together with out any care; one that obviously over sells you; one that is over complicated, weighed down with snazzy effects and lacking important details.

Sounds obvious but how many times have I encountered these sorts of sites. It isn't just home brewed sites either many so-called professional web design companies are pretty clueless when it comes to promoting goods and services.

Make sure that your site truly presents you the way you want other to see you.

Just out of interest...why do some people put a links page on their site? I do quite like clicking on some of the links in peoples signatures to see what they do, however it always confuses me as to why this page is needed? It just seems to me that they are trying to use the names to make themselves look bigger, and also try and make the website appear bigger than it is. If im trying to find a lighting designer why would I need a link off to a avo, whitelight etc.?

It's all about Search Engine Rankings. If you link to a big site, which is relevant, Google assumes that your site is relevant in the same way.

That's why having a link in my Sig, with relevant text around it. Is good for the site rankings.

Josh

It's all about Search Engine Rankings. If you link to a big site, which is relevant, Google assumes that your site is relevant in the same way.

That's why having a link in my Sig, with relevant text around it. Is good for the site rankings.

Josh

It needs to work both ways, for example I will not gain anything by linking to Soundcraft unless they link back....and are they likely to do that.... I shouldn't think so.

Best thing you can do is to build relationships with other people in the industry and like to them making sure they link back to you. Only link to people who link to you otherwise you'll gain nothing.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am a web developer trying to move back into sound engineering, needed to get out of the house!

There are many things you have to take into account on your site, the first is people looking for you, that’s you or your business, not necessarily just someone in your field or profession, take for example word of mouth (stay with me on this) a potential client has just met someone you have worked for in the past an they are told 'Oh we used a guy called.... errr it was something like xxxxx but I know he was based in xxxxx and he worked with me on xxxxx show.

At this point your potential client has enough information to find you on Google…. Or they should, because on your site you will have your name and location, and your blog lists all the projects you’ve worked on..... doesn't it?!?!?

Your site needs help. You wouldn’t go and get 10,000 flyers printed and then leave them sat on your office floor, and kick off because they’ve made you no money. Same with your site, and its so easy to help, this is where I could go on for hours about optimisation, something for another day… but start with simple things, Google Places, used to be called Business Directory, fill in as many sections as you can on this, but never lie just to beef it up! Then there’s adword and so on…..

Use meta keyword and description tags, the number of people that will say 'oh these don’t matter any more'…… well they do, but only as part of your overall strategy, but as above, no beefing up.

Pictures, they paint a thousand words, just pictures of your setup etc, you will get people who haven’t a clue what they want technically, but will be able to say ‘it’s the same sized venue as you have in that picture’ and so on.

Your website can get you the calls, but then its up to you to sell yourself.

You can wake up now!! If anyone wants more info, let me know. But remember, your website is a marketing tool and never your complete marketing.

Thanks

Andrew

Archived