Soundcard access over network...

TomLyall

Okay guys, I'm aware its not really theatre related...

Does anyone know if its possible, and if so how, to use a soundcard across a network. What I'm trying to do here is to play music on a laptop, and let my media server's soundcard output the audio to an amp and speakers etc.

What I really want is to avoid any cables on the laptop end. (wifi'ed btw).

If its not possible, does anyone know of any third party software which could fool the laptop into thinking its a local soundcard, or at least do what I'm trying to do.

I really want to avoid the 'streaming audio' option, as it makes thinks too complex and I'd really rather not have any software on the server side.

(Sorry if this isn't quite filled correctly, I didn't see it as being sound really...)

Dont know of anything that will achieve that for you Im afraid with the exception of the piece of software Im working on (which would be installed on the server & unfortunately isnt ready for use yet. Just out of interest though is this for domestic use? & is there anything else you might want to achieve with it ? Call it reseach on my part :stagecrew:

Have I misunderstood totally or do you want a piece of software to have the same effect as a lead from your laptop soundcard to the media centre? If you do then a DIY (read quick and dirty) hardware option would be to take the innards out of a cheap pair of wireless headphones and transmitter.

I think the *wonderful* people at apple may have your answer!

Airport Express is a wireless router that lets you stream audio over to it, although you have to use I-Tunes.

We use them in music at College, they work very well!

I don't think there is a way to make a soundcard on a networked machine appear local.

Rikio

What is wrong with simply sharing the media on the server and playing it from a network drive on the client?

James

Because I need the audio out of the servers soundcard, because its then looped-in with my RF wiring and distributed around the house.

The main reason for doing it this way was that I really wanted to avoid having any cables on the laptop...

What is wrong with simply sharing the media on the server and playing it from a network drive on the client?

James

Because I need the audio out of the servers soundcard, because its then looped-in with my RF wiring and distributed around the house.

The main reason for doing it this way was that I really wanted to avoid having any cables on the laptop...

So share the sound files on the network and use remote control software to control a media player of some sort on the server itself, thus the sound will come out of the servers soundcard and can be controlled by you.

I use Remote Administrator to achieve the same.

Owen

So share the sound files on the network and use remote control software to control a media player of some sort on the server itself, thus the sound will come out of the servers soundcard and can be controlled by you.

Yep thats what I'm planning to do:

Is http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/patrickmm...n/winampremote/ the kind of thing you want. It lets you control WinAMP on your server via a control panel on your laptop.

Ian, I hadn't thought of that way of doing it, and thankyou very much. It seems like thats going to be the best way to do it, winamp being my prefered choice of player anyway....

Hi

Download Windows Media Encoder from the M$ website (its free) and run that on your laptop. Select your Sound Card Wave Device as the audio input for a live broadcast with no video input.

Then run Windows Media Player on the computer with the speakers and go: File > Open URL > Enter the WINS or IP address of the laptop with the port (default is 8080) ie http://192.168.0.1:8080 or http://LAPTOP:8080.

Then the stream will buffer and then play live (about 2s delay).

Provided in the encoder setup you select the record master as the input you should hear any sound from the laptop on the clients!

Hope to help

Nick

Archived