WIFI PROJECTION-ONTO SCREEN AND OTHER LAPTOPS

chatterbox

I have been asked if the following is possible:

For presentations - powerpoint and some video - from a persons laptop ( different people each time) using a wi fi projector..can we project onto the screen, but also the other members of the board want to be able to pick up the picture on their own laptops in the same room. (Room is only approx 10m x 12m). We will use a radio belt pack from the computer to put the sound through the pa system - so it is just the picture that is the problem......

Also has anybody used the wi fi projectors - what are they like - is there much latency??? - probably looking at approx 3000 ansi lumens - any suggestions ???

Thanks,

CHATTERBOX

As I understand it.

Each company has its own proprietary way of doing it and it it is strictly from one machine to the projector using special software on the laptop.

The results are never going to be great especially with video.

If they are hell bent on wireless perhaps they should look at a hardware solution http://www.avocent.com/Products/Category/E...b=details_tab_4

But a decent wireless solution will not be cheap nor as good as a cable.

On the one I have used - Yes there is latency. Don't get me wrong, If you are just running virtually static presentations they are great! If you are trying to run video it's a no go!

The projector worked as a router. So you would log on to it the same way as you would with any other Wireless Network - We then had configuration software on laptop. However, We never tried connecting two laptops so I can't really comment on if it would work or not.

I'm not a c0mputer expert, nor do I play one on TV but I'm wondering if there would be a web based solution to this -

Something along the lines of uploading the presentation to a secure site (on a local server or on the Web) that the other laptops log into while the presenter does the normal display set-up to the projector (wireless or wired) and runs the

I can see that speed of streaming could be an issue here.

The solution back_ache shows would only work if there was a receiver for every laptop in the room to plug into - which could be a lot of laptops and doesn't allow for any use of WiFi on the laptops. But it would allow more control over streaming, latency and so on.

Keep an ear out for the audio also - always lots of potential for gremlins with audio from onboard sound cards and minijack sockets ... or the presenters poorly shielded smartphone ...

Powerpoint 2010 has a new feature where you can broadcast your presentations over the net. All the other users in the room would need to do - assuming they have wifi and internet access - is log onto the webpage and watch the presentation 'live'. The link can be emailed at the start of the broadcast.

This solution assumes that the main computer is able to wirelessly connect to the projector, and the internet at the same time. There is a bit of latency, but I guess that is down to netowrk speed etc.

Also, there is wireless receiver that you connect to any projector and can then use wirelessly. I haven't used it but it does say that you can conect to it and the internet at the same time, so could be a good solution. Link below!

http://www.blackbox.co.uk/products/display...p;tx=7&sx=4

I'm not a c0mputer expert, nor do I play one on TV but I'm wondering if there would be a web based solution to this

There are a number of web based solutions and though they have latency are perfectly acceptable for slides and showing applications.

However for video, they just can't do it.

The way we do it is the room projector is wired to the presenters laptop, and via a web conferencing tool people can also see the presentation on their machine.

The sound we share using conference phones and a dial-in conferencing supplier.

perhaps Dropbox could help with this solution?

A shared folder, stored online, which anyone can access. We use it for sharing show paperwork regularly.

As I see it working for you, everyone drags their powerpoint presentations into the folder. They can then be loaded on a laptop connected to the projector, or on any other laptop belonging to the participants.

Would this work? obviously a net connection would be needed.

Might Webex be of any use?

I've only ever been a participant (last time being a two-day course, where I sat in a room by myself staring at my computer!), but it seems that it might do the job.

You can pass control to anyone on the Webex, so once one presenter has finished, then can pass control to the next one. You would need an internet connection, though.

Powerpoint 2010 has a new feature where you can broadcast your presentations over the net. All the other users in the room would need to do - assuming they have wifi and internet access - is log onto the webpage and watch the presentation 'live'. The link can be emailed at the start of the broadcast.

This solution assumes that the main computer is able to wirelessly connect to the projector, and the internet at the same time. There is a bit of latency, but I guess that is down to netowrk speed etc.

if this is right could you not put another laptop receiving the web broadcast right next to the video projector plugged in directly?

(I don't know I'm just asking)

Simple. Standard laptop plugged into a fast wireless router, plugged into a standard projector. Presenters install TightVNC Server, and the laptop by the projector just view's there screen. I love TightVNC and it's relatively simple to set up and use. If it's unsightly going to the laptop to connect to the next server, simply have the presenters send you there presentations, and then turn the Projector Laptop into a Server, and they connect as a client. I'm not sure how gobledy-gookish this sounds, but if you need help, just ask.

Nick

Archived