How do you operate a pin matrix?

kevinsysum

Hey Folks

The pin matrix was a way of allowing individual control signals to be grouped together on a sperate preset board - kind of an early memory preset thing without the need for computer software. Does anyone know how they are operated? I have a pic attached.

Cheers,

Kev

http://www.glos-ha.com/assets/images/DSCF0013_small_.jpg

Hey Folks

The pin matrix was a way of allowing individual control signals to be grouped together on a sperate preset board - kind of an early memory preset thing without the need for computer software. Does anyone know how they are operated? I have a pic attached.

Cheers,

Kev

http://www.glos-ha.com/assets/images/DSCF0013_small_.jpg

I belive you have vertical outputs (to the dimmers) and horizontal inputs (from the desk sliders)...

you then play it like you play battleships, placing a pin in R5, will connect dimmer R to output 5... some had 2 types of pegs, like you had in those analogue timers for domestic security lights and stuff, where you have 1 pin to 'add' it to the scene, and another type to remove it... like a pin patching system...

I belive you have vertical outputs (to the dimmers) and horizontal inputs (from the desk sliders)...

Think thats at the dimmer end on analogue Avo rolling racks, control on pin patch in and dimmers out via cord patch, (wieland?), to socapex out.

Think these ones are to assign channels to group faders on the desk, channels on columns , faders on rows. BTW the pins will be diode pins.

may well be wrong...

No your not wrong.

This pin patch is off an Avo 80-100 series and used to group channel faders together on a seperate preset memory board. No dimmer here. The operation may be the same but im not sure. What do you mean by 'diode pins'?

cheers

Kev

the pins had a diode inside and a jack type plug. the diode was needed to enable you to patch one dimmer to two faders or vice versa. the other type of matrix had simple shorting pins - on these they were less versatile. putting two pins in would allow you to control two dimmers at once. Any fader setup that sent volts do dimmer x would also go to y. with diodes a fader could work x and y as above, but another could be made to work x only (the diode preventing flow the other way)

I had an old furse with shorting pins and a colortran that had diode pins

Guest lightnix
I remember the Electrosonic Rockboard had a pin patch for the chaser. The Alderham Showboard also had one lurking somewhere, but I can't remember if it was for the chaser or the patch.

Archived