Hungaroflash Quasar & Martin Atomic Failures

r_keates

Hi all,

Had the PCBs in both our atomics replaced a couple of years back with remanufactured ones, unfortunately one has already failed.

As per the other threads, have replaced the damaged resistors with like for like ones, the 22ohm one just blows again as soon as the unit is connected to the mains. Any ideas what upstream components could be causing this problem? Or is it another hundred and something quid in Martin's pocket?

Also, got a set of RGB Quasar strobes by Hungaroflash. One has failed, in that it powers on (red light on front of unit) but the yellow light does not flash 3 times on power-up to indicate that the unit is in DMX mode. Tried changing the unit into Test mode (looking for yellow light flash x 4 on power on) and still no change - no yellow LED and no strobe output. I used a small screwdriver to open the bi-metallic switch in the unit, and the yellow LED came on, so I know that the LED itself has not blown.

The unit has 2 fairly new fans in, and a new tube, all of which have been tested in one of the working units. I have been all over the PCB looking for dry joints, but can't find anything.

The other 2 units are fine, and behave as normal.

Any ideas (or schematics)?

Thanks

Rob :)

check the triac for dammage, also be careful as there is a lot of high voltage inside these things, the yellow storage capacitors sometimes fail.

Thanks for the reply Richard,

Were you referring to the Atomic or the Hungaro when you suggested checking the triac?

Got one of the other Hungaros relamped and back on the rig today, only to find that it tripped the breaker as soon as it was activated. On further investigation it turns out that the distro board in the roof has been replaced with a new one, and they only fitted 16amp breakers in place of the old 32 amp ones! Helpful!

Cheers

Rob :)

Archived