VGA to DVI

soundspider

Hey,

I have a Kramer VP-719xl switcher/scaler which I'm looking to plug three laptops into. (The composite and s-video ports are being used for cameras) I'm using the VGA port, obviously, and have a VGA to component scan converter, so that's 2, and just trying to figure out if I need another scan converter to use the DVI port? None of the laptops have DVI out, so need some sort of conversion - have seen plenty of VGA to DVI adaptors/leads, but tried one I had lying around and it gave me nothing. Does the Kramer require conversion to DVI-D or should a simple plug-in adaptor/converter work?

Thanks,

Alan

Quick look at the specs suggest that it only takes Digital on the DVI input so you would have to change from Analogue to Digital before the switch.

Just a suggestion, wouldn't it be better to get hold of a switcher that is more suitable to your needs?

Hey,

I have a Kramer VP-719xl switcher/scaler which I'm looking to plug three laptops into. (The composite and s-video ports are being used for cameras) I'm using the VGA port, obviously, and have a VGA to component scan converter, so that's 2, and just trying to figure out if I need another scan converter to use the DVI port? None of the laptops have DVI out, so need some sort of conversion - have seen plenty of VGA to DVI adaptors/leads, but tried one I had lying around and it gave me nothing. Does the Kramer require conversion to DVI-D or should a simple plug-in adaptor/converter work?

Thanks,

Alan

Hi Alan, I can confirm that the the VP-719xl accepts only DVI-D on the input. Depending on budget, and the type of results that you require, you could try the following options.

1) Use a VP-211K auto switcher (List £129+VAT) to switch between 2 VGA inputs before the scaler. The downside is that this defeats some of the object of "FTB" switching when the VP-211K switches whilst VGA is selected on the scaler.

2) Use an FC-31xl (List £229+VAT) to convert your analogue signal to DVI-D. The downside is that you have both D-A and then A-D conversion in the signal path which can't help but introduce the odd artifact.

3) Replace the VP-719xl with a VP-724xl (List £899) or move bang up to date with the VP-728/9 (2 VGA inputs +) or VP-730 (4 VGA inputs +) which are based on the HQV scaling engine and list at £899, £999 and £1199 respectively.

VP-730 http://www.kramerelectronics.co.uk/product...el.asp?pid=1733

Any further questions feel free to contact me in the Kramer UK office on +44 (0)1296 330011

3) Replace the VP-719xl with a VP-724xl (List £899) or move bang up to date with the VP-728/9 (2 VGA inputs +) or VP-730 (4 VGA inputs +) which are based on the HQV scaling engine and list at £899, £999 and £1199 respectively.

Nick,

I understood that the VP-724xl had been discontinued about a year ago - can you confirm that this is the case or not?

Thanks

Philip

Hi,

Thanks for the responses - I obviously need a scan converter of some sort then. Would this work: http://cpc.farnell.com/cyp/cp261d/vga-to-d...rter/dp/AV13014. Says it outputs to DVI-I rather than -D but that should be both analogue and digital, yes?

David: Yeah, it probably would be better, but I already have the 719, and is there a decently priced switcher that'll take 3 composites and 3 vgas with 2 outputs?

Cheers,

Alan

Nick,

I understood that the VP-724xl had been discontinued about a year ago - can you confirm that this is the case or not?

Thanks

Philip

It is a long story- but there are probably one or two still around, though it is true that they are not readily available. The VP-728 and VP-730 are the replacements. Also don't forget that Kramer products come with a 7 year RTB warranty.

David: Yeah, it probably would be better, but I already have the 719, and is there a decently priced switcher that'll take 3 composites and 3 vgas with 2 outputs?

Depends on your needs. A one off and I would just hire one in. If you can live with it you could sub mix the VGAs to one VGA output. Difficult to say without knowing what you expect to do with it.

Depends on your needs. A one off and I would just hire one in. If you can live with it you could sub mix the VGAs to one VGA output. Difficult to say without knowing what you expect to do with it.

Its for a church install, so needs to be permanent. I have sub-mixed with a cheapie vga switcher before, which works ok, but would like it to be all in one box for simplicity of operation as much as anything (kinda doesn't matter how complicated the setup is!).

Cheers for the advice anyway,

Alan

My first suggestion would be the most suitable of the Kramer units as we have supplied a fair few to churches and nothing other than positive comments from the customers. The 728 is well priced and handles analogue and digital up to 1080p so its probably going to work with the next projector you get, but its limited by only 2 vga and 2 dvi/hdmi ins. so if you need more vgas you are stuck cascading 2 units which isnt the most elegant solution.

If you only need to work with Xga resolution vga, id suggest that you should look at a AMX integration scaler, this has 4 Vga ins and 6 video, scaling them up to 1024/768. Its nowhere near as sophisticated as the Kramers with no geomery, proc amp or anything. basically 10 buttons to select input, mute and blank plus volume up and down, so if you need simple its a good solution. list is around 650plus vat, so not unduly expensive.

cheers

Alastair

Archived