A History of Lighting Control

charl.ie

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have the complete brochure for the IDM - I'll scan it in if anybody would like to see it. I think the interesting thing is just how few of some controls Strand turned out (and many of those were bespoke) while they were churning out Junior 8s by the hundred. They must have struggled to make any profit on some of them...but I suppose the miles of compartment battens paid for that.

I have the complete brochure for the IDM - I'll scan it in if anybody would like to see it. I think the interesting thing is just how few of some controls Strand turned out (and many of those were bespoke) while they were churning out Junior 8s by the hundred. They must have struggled to make any profit on some of them...but I suppose the miles of compartment battens paid for that.

I am interested in seeing it

Yes Please!

many thanks,

Richard

If anyone cares, I have an almost complete set of Strand catalogues dating from 1936 - including the promotional brochure for Fred's colour music console for the Empire Exhibition of 1938.(The latter is in mint condition and I'm unwilling to scan it; might be able to take a digital pic of it).

I now appear to own these catalogues, but I'd be happy to loan them out for any research projects.

I have a list if anyone is interested; email me.

I personally loathe old desks with the exception of the Palette.

Ken

Yes Please!

many thanks,

Richard

Right it is scanned - how do I attach it?

Yes Please!

many thanks,

Richard

It might be as easy to send a PM to each person enquirying

Many thanks,

Richard

When you click the "Reply" button further down the page, do you get a "Attach this file" button below the text entry box? It may be a Mod only feature...

If you do have it, click browse, find the scan and then click the blue button. Simples!

I seem to remember, in the early days of memory desks staring to become common, some desks having a patch panel with pins that you had to put into holes - something to do with chases? Unfortunately I never needed to use one in anger and my own memory is shockingly bad. :) Can anyone remind me what the boards were and how they worked?

When you click the "Reply" button further down the page, do you get a "Attach this file" button below the text entry box? It may be a Mod only feature...

If you do have it, click browse, find the scan and then click the blue button. Simples!

No that button not available despite what it says in the help file. Buy if anyone would like the IDM brochure pm with an email address and I'll send it

Can anyone remind me what the boards were and how they worked?

The Strand MMS had one of these. Used to patch channels to 10 "masters".

The idea was that the general house lighting could be patched to one master. The lights needed for someone to give a talk standing at a lectern patched to another etc.

So anybody could just push up the appropriate master without any knowledge of how the board worked.

Or you could use it so all cyc's light blue where on one, dark blue on another, pink on another etc.

Cheers

Gerry

Pin-patches were such a simple way of patching control circuits to dimmers - the pins had diodes inside. So even if the memory failed or got corrupted, you could still make up a few presets. Also handy for the odd special or other almost permanent, or an add in effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived