Profile beams

Trig

What is it in a profile that means it will have better or worse blurry to sharp beam edges?

And more specifically: What can we do to maximise sharpness, or increase the blurr, beyond cleaning them etc?

I do a lot of small touring work, and tend to meet a lot of different lights every day, I know a lot of the tricks with peak flat etc, I'm really looking for an explanation of what happens with the lenses & gate...

I'm quite familiar with the use of frosts to manipulate beams, what about the effects through silks?

Thanks for any information.

Trig

And more specifically: What can we do to maximise sharpness, or increase the blurr, beyond cleaning them etc?

I'm quite familiar with the use of frosts to manipulate beams, what about the effects through silks?

For soft edge, let them gather a year or twos dust... OK you've spotted that one! If you are referring to differences between identical lanterns, it may be down to the position of the lamp in the reflector.

Silk spreads the beam in one plane much more than the other. If you have the "stripes" vertical, you can cover a wider stage with your light. I've used this often lighting outdoor Shakespeare with far too few lanterns.

Another trick is to use a donut in the colour gate, which enables you to restrict any 'flare' in the beam. You can make your own donut by cutting a hole the size of the optical gate ( the same size as the gobo holder hole) in a piece of cardboard the size of the colour frame. I don't know the specifics about how well the cardboard stands up to the heat, but I'd imagine with 'cool beam' profiles -SL, S4, Pacific - it would be less of a problem than with 'traditional' profiles. If you're worried about the heat and the cardboard, City Theatrical manufacture donuts out of powder coated steel in the same way as colour frames. Although if you're touring lots of small venues, it could get expensive to have a stock of all the donuts for all the venues.

I make donuts out of Rosco blackwrap (black aluminium foil), beloved of the TV industry.

These donuts will stand the heat produced from older profiles, and can greatly enhance the focus you get when using gobos. Work a treat in my old Cantatas!

Just to qualify what Peter said - put them in a colour frame, not the gate!

Marc

You can make your own donut by cutting a hole the size of the optical gate ( the same size as the gobo holder hole) in a piece of cardboard the size of the colour frame.

Damnit! There was me hoping for a chance to be paid to go and buy donuts!!

often lighting outdoor Shakespeare

Where was this out of interest? Cliveden?

Thanks for the info guys, however no-one's really given me the answer I wanted, probably my fault for the original phrasing, I'll try again.

Can anyone explain, in term of movement of the lenses, gate, lamp housing etc, why some profiles are able to provide wonderfully sharp edges, and fantastic blurry ones. While other profiles can give you only one or the other... And how would one go about fixing these latter lanterns?

Thanks!

Can anyone explain, in term of movement of the lenses, gate, lamp housing etc, why some profiles are able to provide wonderfully sharp edges, and fantastic blurry ones. While other profiles can give you only one or the other... And how would one go about fixing these latter lanterns?

Depends on the quality of the lenses, any coatings on the lens, whether you've got a condenser lens, dirt on the lenses, lenses out of alignment, lamp out of alignment etc. etc.

Making it more 'blurry' is easy with a bit of frost, making it sharper requires a strip down (of the lantern...), good clean, realignment etc. But you're not going to make a S4 out of a P23...

Archived