How good are Thomann PA systems?

Oliver

...just that really.

I'm a piano player vocalist using an underpowered system at the moment (also Thomann) but have been attracted by their The Box 1400watt active system for an incredible £780 odd. Can it be any good at this price. It comprises 4 cabinets (2x15" basses and 2x12"/100mmx100m horns) It's all a little heavy for my liking so I was also thinking of going for a KME or Fohhn system with one 15" bass cab and two satelites (with 2x8" in them). These range from about £1k to£1.5. Idealy I don't want to go any higher than a grand but I want it light(ish) very portable but above all cracking sound qualityfor piano, vocals and bass and drums on CD.

As you can probably tell from my lack of jargon I'm approaching this from a "musos" angle so any advice would be very greatfully received indeed!

Many thanks

Oliver

My PA rig first started off based arround Thomann boxes and for the price I couldn't fault them.

I still use Thomann amps with no problems so far.

You should be fine. There is a lot worse you could do.

James

I think £680 is money about to be well spent. For economys own sake a couple of years ago we bought a t-box rig - despite being abused they have performed well - the current ones are, to me at least, not so attractive as they are 'cleverer' in design - but spec wise look good value for money. I had some KME through thomann too at about the same time and again was impressed with the sound, but found them not quite so abuse proof. the crossovers have typical bulb protection on the hf, and getting identical ones has proven a bit difficult - and I lost a couple of LF drivers which was a little worrying. They did supply under g-t replacements which is good for them, but the time delay from germany was a problem as they wanted the originals back for inspection. A friend has one of the low end HK's and it hasn't been too reliable - fuses pop regularly.

Archived