Any help here please?

soundo26

Hi all,

I got made redundant two years ago and still haven't been able to get back into gainful employment! To keep my hand in, I've been doing genuine Charity gigs using my 4k Band PA. My mixer is now dropping channels like flies and I need to replace it. I don't have much cash these days so can't buy new, but if anybody is clearing out and has an old but working mixer of 12 channels or more to get rid of cheaply, can you let me know please. I am in the Wiltshire area.

many thanks for your consideration!

Good suggestion Sleah.

I have used one of these and they are great for the price.

What mixer have you got already OP?

There are some great guys on here who could probably repair it for you.

Yes thanks, the mixer I have already is the Behringer SL 3242 which is the bigger brother to the 2442. It has suddenly developed some strange faults where the channels have started to drop out of the mix although the signal is still in the monitors on the Aux outputs. It seems to be creeping along the desk because I now seem to have lost channels 1-5 and a couple further up the desk. Like you say it is a cheap desk but incredibly well featured for the price and has served well but the situation is that it will probably cost more to get it looked at than to buy a replacement!

My problem is that I'm going through a really rough time financially at the moment and can't afford to outlay much for a replacement used desk! I have several commitments over the next three months which are all charity gigs which doesn't help with contributing toward it's cost so I find myself stuck in a hole! This is why I was hoping to find someone clearing out an old desk cheaply to get through this period until I can hopefully get back into the world of gainful employment when I can invest in a shiny new one!

Yes thanks, the mixer I have already is the Behringer SL 3242 which is the bigger brother to the 2442. It has suddenly developed some strange faults where the channels have started to drop out of the mix although the signal is still in the monitors on the Aux outputs. It seems to be creeping along the desk because I now seem to have lost channels 1-5 and a couple further up the desk. Like you say it is a cheap desk but incredibly well featured for the price and has served well but the situation is that it will probably cost more to get it looked at than to buy a replacement!

Not sure how technically competent you are, but with modern cheap kit it's always worth opening it up and taking a look. While I've not been inside any of the contemporary Behringer cheapies, I understand that they have ribbon connectors that can either work loose, or short out on one side. Without needing to do too much (or even any) dismantling beyond opening up the mixer, you may find an obviously loose ribbon connector - reseat this, and ideally fix in place with a few blobs of hot melt glue. The other possibility is that the ribbon connector socket is contacting something else critical. A quick fix to this is to place an insulator between the two surfaces - insulating/gaffa tape works well. From the symptoms you describe, it's quite likely that one of these two will be the problem, fixed in 20 mins at no cost. If there's more significant component failure, then you're probably out of economically viable luck, though.

My problem is that I'm going through a really rough time financially at the moment and can't afford to outlay much for a replacement used desk! I have several commitments over the next three months which are all charity gigs which doesn't help with contributing toward it's cost so I find myself stuck in a hole!

One of the risks of doing too many freebies is that it ends up costing you money personally. I do too much unpaid/low paid work, but you need to be realistic & honest with the customer as to what they can actually expect from you. The cost to them of paying nothing, as that they risk problems, like you're having. That's why they should expect to pay something, even if not the full commercial rate.

Archived