Lighting Books

HolyPhish

Hello

I'm relatively inexperienced with lighting but am about to start at a job where I will be doing more and will need to step up my game a bit.

I would class myself as a beginner but I have received training for stuff and have a used a variety of lights in different circumstances.

I have been trained on a Pearl 2001/2004 and a Zero88 Fat Frog. I have used Mac 250's, 600's, 700's, Robe 575's, Parcans, Fresnals, Profiles.

I have done (to a limited standard) rock concerts, a musical, corporate, a drum and bass rave and a couple of other things

I know about DMX and multiple universes of 512 channels and having to patch/address lamps/lights/fixtures (whats the correct term?) and I have focussed lights.

However I know my lighting scenes don't look the greatest and would love to up my game in the new job. I know there are books available but I don't know which ones to go for.

The books on the wiki page are listed with stuff like : not for beginners, beginners guide...

But I don;t know what category I fall into and do not wish to shell out money for something thats way over my head or way too simple.

My Question is this:

Which book/book combination would be best for me?

Or could you give your review on the books available as to what kinda level they are aimed at?

The lighting I will be doing will be mainly rock and roll using LED's, a small number of movers and some parcans/fresses

Thank You in advance

:P Hi there, Francis Reids art of stage lighting is very good, also Graham Walters stage lighting step by step, although he does seem to show spots upside down and a profile spot I cannot identify despite 25 years in stage lighting.I would suggest you do a google/or other search for stage lighting books or look at the entertainment press.I think though, that stage lighting needs to be learnt by doing and learning,if you like it comes from the creative within.You can read every stage lighting book and still have little idea of the subject.There is no quick fix, the basics are there as the foundation, but it is a practical skill.Keep it illuminated Roy

Your local library is the place to go. In fact, my own library have budget to spend on books, as they are less popular in the non-fiction area, so if they haven't got it, you'll probably find they will order them in for you - then, if you find one you like, buy it!

Archived