camcorder help

shaggy555

Hi guys,

I have been tasked with sourcing a Hi end(semi-pro) camcorder.... The main requirements are Mac compatability(boo!!!), External audio input (XLR) and preferably SD card recording capability(well anything other than tape based)...

I have been out of the loop for a while, and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on the direction I should go...

The budget I have been allocated is aproximately £3,500 (I would like this to include a good tripod a and good rifle mic kit(ie. Sennheiser or equivilent)...

Many thanks in anticipation.

Shaggy

I'm a bit of a fan of the sony z5, even tho it is a little long in the tooth. It can record HDV tape, and SD or hard drive with an extra pack. Every camera I've ever met in that price bracket is mac compatible - it would be suicide to make them incompatible given the market penetration of FCP! I've also seen some good results from the Panasonic AG-HMC151, even though it uses the dreaded AVCHD codec which could pose issues if you use certain NLE systems.

Have a looky at these guys, they have a reasonable selection of kit with specs & prices.

BTW, there's really no such thing as a 'Mac' compatible camera. Video recording standards have nothing whatsoever to do with desktop computer operating systems. It is the computers that need to be compatible with the camera!

Have a look at the Sony HDR-AX2000E which is a camcorder that I have been looking at recently.

It has stereo XLR mic inputs, and the mount for a rifle mic, as well as its own built in.

It records onto SD cards (not just Sony Memory Sticks) with the cunning feature of being able to record on one while replacing the other and the recording then swaps over to the new one when the other is full (if you can follow!)

From a quick Google search, it can be found for between £2700-4200, so may well be within the budget.

I would avoid anything which records HDV - this is an old format now and the newer AVHC based cameras offer much better quality and easier editing on modern computers.

The AX2000 is a good camera - but its worth spending the extra to get the pro version http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-nxcamsi...roduct-HXRNX5U/ see http://forums.dvdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=50535 for a discussion of the diferences between the 2 cameras, the NX5 has much more comprehensive controls and has a proper HDSDI output.

You'll be hard pushed to get a camera and a decent tripod + mic for your budget., though you might be able to talk one of the big suppliers into doing you a deal on the lot.

Thanks for the pointers guys... Very helpfull!!

Think, after some research we will be going for the HDR-AX2000!

Got an excelent quote from Bentonville Mall (Camera + Sony tripod w controls + Sony shotgun for 3 and a bit grand!!!).

Can't wait... :blink:

Thanks for the pointers guys... Very helpfull!!

Think, after some research we will be going for the HDR-AX2000!

Got an excelent quote from Bentonville Mall (Camera + Sony tripod w controls + Sony shotgun for 3 and a bit grand!!!).

Can't wait... ;)

Well done! I know the feeling. I had to replace a camera at school last week, and went for a Sony HDV at around £1400. I was like a big kid when it arrived and played with it all weekend :blink:

Gettin' all excited about the job I have for it on Friday :D

Well we technicians have to get excited about something.... ;)

Sony tripod w controls

That sony tripod is not very good at all. Really you want a minimum of a vinten pro5 or manfrotto 501 (they are the same thing really) - these tripods will give you a smooth pan and will last for years, the sony will do neither!

Archived