License Holder Laws

sonic

We have recently had a change around of our committee and the old chairman stated that only the chairman of the Association was able to hold the entertainments license... but this got me thinking.

The old chairman stepped down and there was no one to take his place so the Vice chairman stepped up - but they asked the old chairman if it was okay that he held onto the license until a new chairman arrived - isn't this contradicting himself - only the chairman can hold the license - but yet secconds after he stepped down he's suddenly able to continue holding the license even though he's no longer chairman???

I was wondering if anyone knows the legislation at all and whether it is possible to have a single person, not chairman, to hold the license - or does it HAVE to be the chairman?

the pel is issued annually to the venue, with a named person as the licence holder. It's usually a fairly simple process to transfer it - publicans and hotels do it all the time. You may be having problems with the rules of your organisation - sounds like something written into your constitution. This isn't normally something the licencing authority are concerned with. If the old licencee is willing to continue to take responsibility (as that's what it's all about) until you can sort out a replacement - what's the problem? Mind you - if I was him, I would have to think very hard about this one. A problem for the committee officers to sort, I would think.

Archived