Large screen blackout booth available for free(ish)

TeeJay

Hi all,

we'll be having a clear out of our offsite store in a few weeks and one of the things we'll be getting rid off will be a large blackout booth, designed to hold a screen and allow for rear projection with a minimum of light spilling on the rear of the screen. It's a free-standing trapezium, with space for the screen at one end, two angled lengths and a fourth shorter side parallel to the screen end.

I can't remember all the dimensions exactly but it's designed to hold a screen 4880mm width by 3660mm tall (16' x 12') with the angled sides 8000mm long. The whole thing stands 3856mm tall. The angled ends break down into eight 2000mm width flats made up of 3" x 2" and black serge. The screen end has a top and bottom piece spanning the gap and a third 'roof' section, all of which are about 1000mm wide and about 5000mm long. There are (or were last time I checked) cross-bracing timbers for the angled sides.

The fourth side is basically a door flat in the same timber and serge construction - the whole thing is a black box set essentially with a hole for a screen at one end but it would only require the addition of braces to turn the angled sides into black masking.

We'll had it about a year after it was used for no more than a week at the Tate Modern (in the Turbine Hall). It's been sat in storage since then and hasn't been moved.

We'll be throwing this out on the 5th July. At that point, we'll be looking to remove this booth (already broken down into separate flats) and throw it away.

If anyone thinks that they may be able to make use of it, you are welcome to come along and pick it up between now until then for free.

Pickup would have to be between 10am and 6pm Mon to Fri - slightly later may be possible with advance notice (more than 24hrs!). We would probably supply a person to help with the loading but it would be up to you to supply transport. Storage unit is in Marden, Kent.

Note that we may charge a nominal fee if a scheduled pickup is cancelled (our theatre is in North London so it's a particular trip for us to send someone down to stores).

I don't have any photos at this time - if someone is interested in the flattage but really required more infomation, we do have a trip planned to stores on the 25th June so could take photos/ other measurements then.

There is no screen with this!

Any questions, please PM me.

Mods - if this is in the wrong forum, my apologises and feel free to move it to the correct one.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

bumping this thread ... the flats weren't chucked out on the 5th July but they will very likely be going skipwards this Thursday 16th September.

Last chance for anyone to claim a whole bunch of black canvas flats in reasonable good nick (for use as masking, booth, or spare parts)

Cheers ...

Archived