64 channel DMX desk...

maxjones2000

Hi, I found this desk on the Internet and wondered whether it would be ok running a 10channel fixture? The desk says that it can handle 8 fixtures with 8 channels. Does this mean it cannot run one (only 1) 10 channel fixture?

(if it can't, can anyone suggest a desk with a similar price that can?)

This is the desk (it's soooo cheap!):

http://wap.ebay.co.uk/Pages/ViewItemDesc.a...679&emvcc=0

this is the type of price I'm looking at for a desk (just so that I can practice programming at home in my room - I am that sad!)

thanks! :** laughs out loud **:

And that's a moving head... Not a desk :** laughs out loud **:

The thing is, you say you want to practice programming at home... At the end of the day, whichever desk this was meant to be has (probably) got a different programming syntax to the industry standard desks that you might use later on in life... Therefore making learning how to use the desk rather pointless...

However, by downloading various OLE's for different desks, you can learn more or less how the desk works which will help you when you do go on to use a real desk...

Personally I wouldn't waste money buying a small disco type desk, as the chances are you wont get a decent use out of it, and in a few years time you'll punch yourself when you realise you should have bought something more useful :)

Hope this helps,

James

And that's a moving head... Not a desk :)

The thing is, you say you want to practice programming at home... At the end of the day, whichever desk this was meant to be has (probably) got a different programming syntax to the industry standard desks that you might use later on in life... Therefore making learning how to use the desk rather pointless...

However, by downloading various OLE's for different desks, you can learn more or less how the desk works which will help you when you do go on to use a real desk...

Personally I wouldn't waste money buying a small disco type desk, as the chances are you wont get a decent use out of it, and in a few years time you'll punch yourself when you realise you should have bought something more useful :)

Hope this helps,

James

Hi James,

Thanks for the advice! Sorry about the link - I've just posted the desk link! Thats what I thought.. maybe its a waste of money.. :)

Basically, what I wanted to do was possibly get the moving light you saw, attempt to repair it (for 99p, anythings worth a go!) and then play around with it. I could get a PC desk (like Hog etc.) but the dongles are really expensive.. :** laughs out loud **: I dont think the ML will work on its own (although it does have master/slave function)

Just out of interest, whats an OLE?

Thanks

Max

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Here's a suggestion, why don't you get MagicQ PC and a MagicDMX dongle. Total cost of £10 with which you can output DMX and learn to program the same desk that ran the recent UK tour of Pendulum.

Josh

Hi Josh,

I didnt know magic PC & dongle was that cheap!!! :(

the only thing, the dongle presumably is 5-pin DMX and I think the fixture from the link is 3 pin.. is there a converter?

Thanks very much,

Max

The dongle is actually 3 Pin and will connect directly to the fixture.

An OLE is an offline editor, but sometimes is also a control package in it's own right. MagicQ PC is an OLE for the Magic Q desks but will also output DMX as a fully functioning controller.

Josh

The dongle is actually 3 Pin and will connect directly to the fixture.

An OLE is an offline editor, but sometimes is also a control package in it's own right. MagicQ PC is an OLE for the Magic Q desks but will also output DMX as a fully functioning controller.

Josh

aha.. thanks! I think that is a much cheaper option than buying a £40 lighting desk that probably wouldnt work..

What mrcog ment was the offline editors for desks. I know that most lighting desks have one now. And the Magic DMX thing comes with a 3 pin XLR on it, not a 5 pin. Saves Charmsy money ya see... :) "

that makes sense! Thanks for your help (yay!)

Thanks everyone! :** laughs out loud **: :) :(

Archived