New Technical Course in Edinburgh

Note: I am borrowing SonofLXDad's account briefly.

As an Edinburgh-based technician, I would have to say that there is currently no shortage of technicians up here, nor is the industry expanding - quite the opposite. Every single lighting company in Edinburgh that I know is shrinking, as a lot of the corporate work was based on the banking and finance industries, who are not exactly spending right now. Obviously this has resulted in less work to be shared around the existing pool of freelancers.

There has long been a tendency to keep rates low and employ the cheapest crew available. I don't deny that there are financial constraints involved, however introducing a new source of labour with little experience and low expectations is not going to help the matter.

And surely they should be allowed to choose who they buy public liability from, if the course doesn't provide it?

I'm all for developing the industry up here, but spreading the word that there are good crew already available in Scotland, rather than claiming inexperienced students are what's needed, would be a much better way of doing it.

Laura

In the same way that London technical courses don't just see graduates working in London, I don't think these guys are saying that their graduates will only work in Edinburgh - rather they are saying that the training and contacts that the course will give will open up opportunities for them. I don't know if this is true, however since the QM course has gone there is a slight gap in the market up there, and in general so it could work

• 4 weeks later...

As an Edinburgh-based technician, I would have to say that there is currently no shortage of technicians up here, nor is the industry expanding - quite the opposite. Every single lighting company in Edinburgh that I know is shrinking, as a lot of the corporate work was based on the banking and finance industries, who are not exactly spending right now. Obviously this has resulted in less work to be shared around the existing pool of freelancers.

There has long been a tendency to keep rates low and employ the cheapest crew available. I don't deny that there are financial constraints involved, however introducing a new source of labour with little experience and low expectations is not going to help the matter.

And surely they should be allowed to choose who they buy public liability from, if the course doesn't provide it?

I'm all for developing the industry up here, but spreading the word that there are good crew already available in Scotland, rather than claiming inexperienced students are what's needed, would be a much better way of doing it.

Laura

The shortage of technicians that I quote comes from a Creative and Cultural Skills report here http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn41...1/ai_n31491872/

The students at my school do not have to join BECTU but they do have to have public liability insurance. If they want to get this insurance elsewhere that is fine with the school. As for "inexperienced students" we were all inexperienced students once, I was and I assume you were.

Anyway as you are in Edinburgh we would like to meet you. The beer is on us, we will try to explain what we are doing and get you on board. If you think you have something to offer you can come and do a mornings workshop on working freelance, or just come and say hello. This school aims to be led by the industry and the students on the course. If the students want to do an all nighter on a project they can. If they want to go to the pub instead they can. It is about trying to offer the best training, in an appropriate way that the industry needs.

Ring me on 07590015957.

Best wishes,

George Tarbuck

Director

edinburgh school of lighting and sound

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

Laura

The shortage of technicians that I quote comes from a Creative and Cultural Skills report here http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn41...1/ai_n31491872/

The students at my school do not have to join BECTU but they do have to have public liability insurance. If they want to get this insurance elsewhere that is fine with the school. As for "inexperienced students" we were all inexperienced students once, I was and I assume you were.

Anyway as you are in Edinburgh we would like to meet you. The beer is on us, we will try to explain what we are doing and get you on board. If you think you have something to offer you can come and do a mornings workshop on working freelance, or just come and say hello. This school aims to be led by the industry and the students on the course. If the students want to do an all nighter on a project they can. If they want to go to the pub instead they can. It is about trying to offer the best training, in an appropriate way that the industry needs.

Ring me on 07590015957.

Best wishes,

George Tarbuck

Director

edinburgh school of lighting and sound

Archived