Web/Netcasting... with a twist

Solstace

Apologies if this should have been placed in the previous topic on a similar subject, but my needs seem a little more specific and the links/solutions provided there didn't seem to help... {tries not to look stupid :** laughs out loud **: - fails}

I have two Windows 2000 machines linked by 100Mbps ethernet, and I'd like to stream at least 1 uncompressed stereo audio feed (preferrably at 48KHz 16-bit) from one to the other over the existing network link.

This project will start as an experiment in audio/midi sequencing in a home studio, however I'd like to develop similar links between the AV PC at church (situated next to our sound desk) and the offices in the building next door for high-quality relaying purposes. I've tried software designed for mono speech links (which I think describes the entire market for this technology at present), but the music quality was awful and I've not found one yet that supports uncompressed audio of any flavour, let alone stereo @ CD quality, which is surprising as this would equate to just under 1.5Mbps...

Before anyone suggests using the System Link that comes with newer Cubase installs (for the home studio use, at least), this doesn't seem practical as it would entail installing a 20m+ run of digital audio cable (in holes and spaces that don't/can't exist) and purchasing a new audio interface for the 2nd machine. Using normal cable patching has the same practical issues but with more horriffic consequences.

Also, has anyone managed to successfully transmit & receive live MIDI data for cues, etc over an ethernet/internet-based network? It'd be handy to be able to transmit MIDI and Audio together, enabling such things as remote sequencer syncing, etc etc.

I would do it the hard way by using proper runs of cable, but it's gonna cost a fair bit to do this properly (with line drivers etc) and either way I'd prefer a solution that can use the existing cabling infrastructure.

Google provided me with loads of links on developing such software in Linux, but very little for Windows... :P

Is there a direct cable (Cat5e or similar) between the machines? If this is avaliable there are a number of seperate hardware interfaces which can be used to transmit audio over Cat5.

Digital audio, and even analouge can also be sent directly over Cat5, especially over short (under 100m) lengths. There's a fair bit of information about this on this site... http://www.studiohub.com/

www.kat5.tv could also transmit audio over cat 5...

Those are possible hardware solutions, but I'd prefer to use a software-solution running on both machines, so that I can keep the existing file/internet/email sharing thing going on - thanks for the suggestions though, they may prove useful in the church setting :P

C.

Streaming Windows Media is probably your best bet (as slim has suggested)

It's free for non-commercial use (not certain about commercial), and is reasonably good.

You'll need to set up a streaming server at your source end and then connect to it using Windows Media Player at the receiving end(s)

I've not set one up myself though so I couldn't say how difficult it is.

Think to do it properly and to more than one pc you need windows server 2003 with the streaming media component installed!

Then you use that in conjunction with windows media encoder to stream the live image.

Also if you want to use Multicasting (when the source pc only has to send the image once and the switch sends copys to every recipient), which will cut down on network traffic, you will need WinSVR2k3 Standard Edition or higher and will need networking hardware that supports multicasting (not all switches do and no hubs do)

Nick

Think to do it properly and to more than one pc you need windows server 2003 with the streaming media component installed! 

Then you use that in conjunction with windows media encoder to stream the live image. 

Also if you want to use Multicasting (when the source pc only has to send the image once and the switch sends copys to every recipient), which will cut down on network traffic, you will need WinSVR2k3 Standard Edition or higher and will need networking hardware that supports multicasting (not all switches do and no hubs do) 

Nick

Windows Media Encoder will do the job nicely, it has a built in webserver you can use when transmitting video or audio. Media Components are available under Win2003 Web Edition and upwards, but are not necessary unless you are using a server on high bandwidth - on a LAN, you would not see any benefit. In fact, the latench between live and relay would increase due to the extra distance the packets are travelling, buffering on the server and so forth.

Archived