Extended Work Experience

tommulliner

they will almost certainly let you take the day off

I spoke to a teacher at my school about missing her lesson, due to a school event (it was an A-Level drama performance I was doing lighting and sound for) and she said no! I explained to her that I really had to be there as it was a large proportion of their A-Level but she said that I couldn't be the only person in the school that knew how to do it, and that I could not miss her lesson :drunk: .

It turned out that I had to go to the lesson, but instead of doing anything productive I just sat at the back thinking about my design, and where to run the cabling! I benefited nothing from the lesson, and would have made better use of the time if I could have spent it rigging!

The Headmaster, however, would have let me off school for the day if I had asked him (and has done in the past!) for out of school drama events, and he is really supportive. I should've gone and asked the head after she had said no, but I didn't want to go over my teacher's head, as that could make my life very unpleasant in the future, and could reflect on my grade (it shouldn't do, but I didn't want to risk it!).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I spoke to a teacher at my school about missing her lesson, due to a school event (it was an A-Level drama performance I was doing lighting and sound for) and she said no! I explained to her that I really had to be there as it was a large proportion of their A-Level but she said that I couldn't be the only person in the school that knew how to do it, and that I could not miss her lesson :drunk: .

It turned out that I had to go to the lesson, but instead of doing anything productive I just sat at the back thinking about my design, and where to run the cabling! I benefited nothing from the lesson, and would have made better use of the time if I could have spent it rigging!

Not wanting to go off topic but the difference between the two situations is time management. The situation in the thread can only take place on those days where as in school rigging for a show can be done at many different times, even if it means you putting yourself out a bit and should not effect your other lessons until possibly when the whole thing comes together for dresses techs etc.

and could reflect on my grade

The only way it would effect the grade is if you miss the lesson and then you dont know the stuff! A teacher will always mark fairly as it all goes and gets moderated and if it doesnt match the criteria then it will effect other peoples grades as well!

Although I quite understand your resentment too your teacher for making you stay in the lesson, and I have done it myself, being in my final year of 6th Form. However, I think you do have too appreciate the time and effort that a teacher would put into planning the lesson, and their reasoning for not letting you attend a theatrical event... Firstly, as a STUDENT (like myself), your primary role in attend school is too learn, not too have fun rigging or designing. The government is paying for an education not for a laugh (unless your attending a private school obviously). Therefore, you do not HAVE too attend this rigging session like a member of staff might have too, the school cannot possibly expect you too do this and IMO would be completely inappropriate for them too expect this of you.

Secondly, (from what little I know about A level drama) is that you don't need any lighting or sound for their performances? They are purely being assessed on their acting ability, and although lighting and sound may benefit the performance, it's not going to affect their grade in any way... And if it is then the school should be employing a technician too sort it out!

Thirdly is a purely hypothetical as I do not know your situation with whatever subject you wanted too miss. However the teacher may have genuine concerns about your education in that subject? In most cases, the teachers are most defiantly trying too help you, and even if you dislike what their saying, most have had years of experience and try and educate you too the best of your ability!

Okay, year 10 is not going too affect you as much as when you move too year 11 and onwards, however think of the long term consequences! I pretty much dossed about for all my GCSE's, doing a lot of drama and a lot off not working! I'm now taking my A levels, and currently struggling with them a little bit because I don't really have experience revising which does fundamentally affect my grades! Okay you may be different but defiantly consider your future options. Are you going too take a practical BTEC in technical theatre or are you going too take purely academic A levels, as for every set of exams, you need too do well enough too get into your next top level of your career path!

In regards too the day off, firstly I'd speak too the teachers whose lessons you'd be missing. Make sure your up too date with any homework thats been set, and maybe even do some extra too show that you will catch up with the work! Normally this would work fine for me, and then with your teachers backup go too senior management too get the day off. Also make sure you have your parents full support with your choices as this has always worked with me!

I really hope this doesn't come across as trying to rip you to pieces as its not, I'm just trying too stop you making some of the mistakes I have made throughout my education! I wish you all the best with whatever path you take.

James

mrcog raised some decent and quite valid points here.

The problem with being in year 10 and being (as seems common) the only person who knows how to do these things, does imply a responsibility that in practice doesn't actually exist.

Technical input in the way of examined options for A level theatre style qualifications means that the exam board have been very careful to isolate the impact of an A grade or an E grade 'technical' student on the rest of the group taking the qualification. It would clearly be unfair if there were, for example, two groups - one had the A grade person on lights and the other the E grade person - if the lighting got the group more or less marks. So if your contribution, lighting wise is just over and above what is required, then if your teacher doesn't rate it's importance as sufficient to get you off classes, then you must accept that it has perhaps less worth than you imagine. If your input was essential, then one teacher would talk to the other and sort it out. The fact this hasn't happened means it was a bit less critical than you thought.

The reality is that it's very rare for students even just 1 year younger to be essential to the other group. It could be argued that if somebody IS essential then something is wrong.

Teachers need decent gophers. It's been a perfectly normal part of school for ever. You can be a really useful person, and learn plenty of new skills - but you will be used when convenient, but ignored when it suits. When teachers need things done, get the people in who seem to enjoy it - but don't ever think you're really appreciated or worse still, essential.

Going back to one of pauls earlier comments, I am actually doing one of my two weeks of school work experience at the theatre where this show (that I need to miss school for) is being held. The theatre is council run and so Im not sure if this affects any arangements with local authorities?? Maybe as they run it, its ok for me to go?? I dont know. - all that I know, is that I am in!

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

also im curious as to the Junior School production.....theres a "get in"?

Its Junior Kids, so mainly just a few colour changes?

Does this require 3 days of "get in", "rigging" and "lighting design"

Sorry, it may just be me who is being blind, but whose post are you refering to? My show is an adult show being done at a profesional theatre. :drunk:

Going back to one of pauls earlier comments, I am actually doing one of my two weeks of school work experience at the theatre where this show (that I need to miss school for) is being held. The theatre is council run and so Im not sure if this affects any arangements with local authorities?? Maybe as they run it, its ok for me to go?? I dont know. - all that I know, is that I am in!

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

also im curious as to the Junior School production.....theres a "get in"?

Its Junior Kids, so mainly just a few colour changes?

Does this require 3 days of "get in", "rigging" and "lighting design"

Sorry, it may just be me who is being blind, but whose post are you refering to? My show is an adult show being done at a profesional theatre. :drunk:

I heard about that new Theatre in Shrewsbury, whats it like inside?

I heard about that new Theatre in Shrewsbury, whats it like inside?

Sorry going off topic for a minute... :drunk:

Its very nice inside. The only thing, is that there are two theatre spaces, one which seats 250 and one which seats 650, so there aren't many big names attracted to it. Pop in and have a look if you so wish!

Anyways... back OT!

It's very clear. If you are working in a theatre, then you must be 16, or the venue must be covered by a Childrens License. If no license exists then the Local Authority will have to prosecute themselves. They cannot claim exemption. As you will be experiencing work, they cannot even argue no work is being carried out, and to do so would then be a good excuse for people who apply to them for childrens license to expect the same treatment.

My advice would be to not say anything whatsoever and take the opportunity. After all, if the council don't know their own responsibilities, that really is their problem. The only problem would be if you got injured. As sure as eggs are eggs the insurance company would be able to duck out if the council had acted illegally.

I've done work experience @ theatre severn multiple times. I've been in for pantos, comedy clubs, and I've been in with other drama groups who have hired the spaces. Never had any problems! :drunk:

Just to addd, I had heard previously about the U16s rule... but it has, as I said, never affected me!

Hi there guys, and update!

The head has said that she is more than happy to sign me off for those days, as she knows that I am very much interested in a carer in technical theatre.

Thanks for all your responses and comments, much appreciated.

All the best,

Tom. :drunk:

don't ever think you're really appreciated or worse still, essential.

Yes Paul, I understand that. It is a shame, as I put a lot of time in, but that is life! I managed to get the rigging done at another opportunity, but it resulted in me having to saty after school until 7.00, missing my bus and having to get my dad to pick me up (he wasn't too happy ;) ) Thanks to both you, mrcog

and steveh for your input :** laughs out loud **:

Regards the Children's license, I am working in a theatre that shall remain nameless for my work experience in a few weeks. The work experience company 'Trident' have arranged all the paperwork, so am I right in assuming that they will have checked this? I know the guy there has had to have a CRB check, but will they have had to get a children's license, or will Trident have not known that they need one?

Archived