DT100 Cans

AV Doug

If it's going to be a pair of desk or sudio only cans, then 400's. If you are ever going to want to use them on a portable music device then 16's, as 400's on any laptop/mp3/cd/md/ player I've ever owned have been rather quiet. My pairs are 400's for studio use, if I'm out on tour I take my Sennheiser HD25's so I can use them on both desk and computer.

I tend to find that both selections are a bit wrong. The 16 ohm version is definitely on the low impedance side--on much professional gear, you're operating near the low end of the headphone knob, but 400 ohms is on the high side. It's not coincidence that an awful lot of pro grade headphones are in the 75-150 ohm range.

Bob

I tend to find that both selections are a bit wrong. The 16 ohm version is definitely on the low impedance side--on much professional gear, you're operating near the low end of the headphone knob, but 400 ohms is on the high side. It's not coincidence that an awful lot of pro grade headphones are in the 75-150 ohm range.

Bob

This is exactly what I thought Bob. Currently I use Sennheiser HD25's which are around the 75 mark (if I remember right) which are fine for using with most desks. Then for sh*ts and giggles I also have a pair of Grado Labs SR80's for listening to music (around 30ish I think).

Perhaps the 16 version is the better way to go - at least it can be turned down - or even look for a different set?

I also used to find 400 Ohm DT100s too quiet on my Soundcraft and A&H Deks. A couple of years ago I bought a pair of DT150s (250 Ohm) and they both sound better and go louder. Actually plenty loud enough. Problem solved.

I suspect the main reason for the 400 ohm version is for use in studio monitoring situations where the impedence is high enough to let you parallel several off a single headphone amp.

Bob

As Bob rightly says, it's for the ability to run several pairs together. Many many headphone amps start to complain below about 100Ohms. Particularly the multichannel ones.

I have 400ohm versions and they are pretty much fine for most things industry related. A colleague has a pair of 16ohm ones and alot of desks give up on them above a certain level.

Rob

Look at the rated impedance.

Look at the rated sensitivity (which will be rated in mW).

Figure out what the drive voltage is at the rated sensitivity.

Compare the drive voltages of various headsets (compensating for any differences in SPL rating). This will give you an idea as to which are likely to have a problem with common headphone amps.

Archived