3D camcorder

johndenim

Like it or not, 3D is going to be a big thing that we need to at least understand. Up until last year, I'd never worked with 3D, but the possibilities are going to expand.

Just thinking about my own work - 3D in panto is amazingly popular with the punters. Some of the other pantos have video sequences where the actors sit in a car and go on 'journeys' - this kind of simple camera would make these sequences even better. The link John posted is a mainly sound magazine - but they too are getting excited. It doesn't matter what kind of theatrical or events style of production we mainly do, like it or not, 3D is going to impact in at least a small way at some point not that far away. It's still expensive with cameras at around £12,000 - but renting puts them into the production budget.

We all need to at least be aware of this kind of production equipment.

I was lucky enough to see last year's Radio City Music Hall christmas spectacular in New York. The most striking thing was the integration of the performers, automated moving set pieces and video--with all the video being 3D. It didn't actually work well for me because I have a lazy left eye--but the people I was with said everything, from Santa's sleigh flying towards you to a blizzard of snow flakes, was spectacular.

As Paul says--something we'll need to understand.

Bob

....It didn't actually work well for me because I have a lazy left eye--but the people I was with said everything, from Santa's sleigh flying towards you to a blizzard of snow flakes, was spectacular...

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that problem.

It can only be a matter of time before firms of lawyers and their touts start persuading punters to sue productions on the grounds that the heavily advertised 3D effects are not "accessible" to people with visual impairments.

Archived