Mic'ing a flute

lonfire

I had to mic a flute for live performance with a concert band....

Used a 57 (is there anything they cant do :P)

I think I got the idea of the shure website.

basicaly u want to get both the clicks from the flute and the main sound

and , if ur doing it live (or want to make the performer notice the mic less)

Put a boom stand behind the performer (slightly to thier right) hanging the 57 over the first few holes about 20cm away from the flute. point the 57 slightly towards the mouthpiece.

works great... dont be afraid of getting some click noise , on a good flute it sounds natural and helps make for a more articulate sound.

I always use a wired tie clip mic (as used in radio mics but terminated in an XLR) clipped on the edge on the mouthpiece, in front of the mouth but to the side to avoid breath noise.

This always gives me plenty of gain and a very natural smooth sound that cuts through the mix at the upper end.

• 2 weeks later...

To add my 2p,

I agree with Mr Si, I've used a '58 (or maybe it was a beyer 39, I can't quite remember) which sounded acceptable.

I'll remember what you're all saying about lapels though, they've finally got some money for a new PA (which is nice 'cos at the moment we've got an ok system but only '58s and 39s) so that might come in useful.

Chris

I've seen many an occasion where a good ol' 58 has been used for mic'ing up a flute.

Sounded lovely to me.

Agreed, it's what I generally use. Mind you, that's largely because the only mics I ever have handy are 58s or 57s, but they still work well enough that I wouldn't bother buying anything else. If there is money available, I'd get a c1000 or two and use them - they're handy to have around anyways.

Perhaps a personal opinion (or maye not...) but I have always used condensors of some description on flutes, C1000s are good for so many things or my current favourite, the AT3031. I just find that the high frequency response of condensors compared to dynamics gives a better reproduction and a brighter sound...

Don't strike me down, I use SM57s and 58s too...

:D

• 5 months later...
its great seeing so many different opinions here, and I reckon everybody does what works for them, this is slightly off the subject, but I reckon I could do a whole show with 57's. I love them, if I had nothing else. I had some great results from them on flutes, but I completely understand why people use condensers, for the extra quality of sound. I think AKG make a capsule mic called a 300B, and you can buy various different capsules to put on the end I've only used the c91 and the c93. one of which is just cardiod and one is hyper cardiod. I found the hyper cardiod is very good at rejecting unwanted sound.

If you fancy trying something different, I have heard (however not yet tried) that a PCC160 mounted on a stand horizontally gives a very nice sound for a flute including a good amount of the breathy tones.

Might be worth a go if you have one about.

David

My mic of choice, and one that is fairly standard fayre amonst my collegues and myself is the old Shure 57, sounds sublime... Can't beat it for warmth, timbre, and feedback rejection... ooo. going all funny thinking about the old 57

Archived