Restoring Mic Grills

Doug Siddons

I have a number of sennheiser mics with black grills, whilst I keep them clean over time the black grill becomes discoloured so I was wondering if anyone had any solutions to this apart from buying a new grill. Is there a paint I can use which won't lead to the artist either getting high or leaving the stage with a ring round his mouth?

I normally drag the foam out, and wash in soapy water, rinsing well, then scrub the grills with a bit of alcohol and a toothbrush... gets rid of the fag/halitosis smells, seems to get most of the horrid mess off, this scrubbing seems to bring them back into shape. Isn't the coating on a mic grill a sort of plasticote... I have, and seen others use, car spray paints to modify the colour of the grill for visual reference and this has worked well, so, id presume a flexible plasticy spray for motor repairs would do the job, with the foams removed of course :P

I've used satin or matt Acrylic black before now, this seems the most compatible paint to overspray others with. Some other paints can react with what's already there and make it bubble and look unattractive.

Archived