PASMA

Humey

There is no legal requirement to have the PASMA cert to errect a tower. Rules vary from site to site and employer to employer, so check with where you're working. My experience is in general sites require someone who has the cert to run the errection of the tower, but not all the people present to have it.

In answer to your question, it all depends on how you risk assess it.

What make of tower do you have? The best bet is to base your risk assessment on the manufacturers guidelines.

This really should of been covered in your PASMA course, but a lot of centres offering their courses are of a low standard.

PASMA is a for profit (minimum prices are set by them) organisation who will have you believe that only their training will suffice. When in fact other companies having doing training for longer and to recognised standards for longer. PASMA training isn't necessarily ISO:9001 certified, it all depends on what centre you do the training at. They also don't offer advanced courses as those that they did now fall foul of the law, whereas other companies do offer good safe advanced courses.

NOTE: This is my impression from a training course I went on last week, it may be that it is advised by that course, but not obligitary.

I was under the impression that to erect a tower, all persons must be competent in doing so (not nessasarily a PASMA Certification though).

In essence, if something goes wrong, you need to prove that those involved did know what they were doing. Example:

You get a new guy to help you out, he puts the bit you ask him to do together wrong, tower falls down, you (as the competent person) are screwed.

Its all a case of how you define "competent"...

Archived