quirky/useful things with an LS9

dan slv-tech

just a quiet day, so I thought it would be fun to list any quirky, useful things about the yamaha LS9 that you have found.

One quirk

When bringing a level in of a target input of +4db (-18dbfs on the meters) I find that the equivalent gain isnt the same on the omni outs. I have to put the PAD in the EQ screen to -6 in order for me to get a decent level on the omni outs- and the main outputs. anyone else have this?

this is actually better, as then your driving gates, comps, efx with more signal, thus less signal loss, and more use of the on board processes.

dan

.....this is actually better, as then your [sic] driving gates, comps, efx with more signal, thus less signal loss, and more use of the on board processes.

dan

What signal loss?

....I have to put the PAD in the EQ screen to -6.....

Do you mean the Attenuator?

It does seem curious that the signal does no pass through the console at the same level it left the channel. Are you sure that you did not overlook a boost someplace in the signal chain? I'll have to look into that.

fixed it - gains were down on outputs -

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

A little while ago, I remember reading a post, where the poster asked if he could run music through the desk, and as he pulled the fader down, it would go down in the wedge accordingly, tho not the same as post fade.

Well I have found a way of doing this.

its really easy, and really useful, and something I shall be adopting from now on- if anyone is interested, I can post it up on here

anyone else got any other useful things theyve found on the LS9?

its really easy, and really useful, and something I shall be adopting from now on- if anyone is interested, I can post it up on here

I'm always interested in things that are easy & useful :)

for fading a source in the main outs and in designated wedges with the fader (not the same as pre fade)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Select the channel you wish to ride the level of for both FOH and in MON

* On the screen on the LS9 make sure the Aux you wish to affect is selected by the flashing cursor

* Press enter

* select the PRE and press enter, it will become unselected, this will now follow the level of the fader

you can still select the overall level going to the fader by the red pots on the screen or (selected send knob)

you can do this for any aux, and will not affect whether another channel ie a mic is being sent pre fade to that same aux -

really really handy

for fading a source in the main outs and in designated wedges with the fader (not the same as pre fade)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* Select the channel you wish to ride the level of for both FOH and in MON

* On the screen on the LS9 make sure the Aux you wish to affect is selected by the flashing cursor

* Press enter

* select the PRE and press enter, it will become unselected, this will now follow the level of the fader

you can still select the overall level going to the fader by the red pots on the screen or (selected send knob)

you can do this for any aux, and will not affect whether another channel ie a mic is being sent pre fade to that same aux -

really really handy

Errm you just made that channel feed to the aux post fade? Whoop de woop.

What would be really useful is a way of getting the listen wedge on the master fader

You have to eat up a user defined key to do this, and it's not amazingly obvious but it's possible. Go to the user defined keys setup screen, and set one to Monitor - Monitor On Master Fader.

What would be really useful is a way of getting the listen wedge on the master fader

what in MONITOR mode?

what do you want a listen wedge on the Master fader for?

dan

For doing monitors! Not much call for the LR mix level to be adjusted by the monitor guy (particularly as it's usually just the mix of all inputs gained correctly with their faders at 0dB) much more useful to be able to control the level you're listening to the mixes you're listening to without changing the level they're being sent at.

what in MONITOR mode?

For doing monitors! Not much call for the LR mix level to be adjusted by the monitor guy (particularly as it's usually just the mix of all inputs gained correctly with their faders at 0dB) much more useful to be able to control the level you're listening to the mixes you're listening to without changing the level they're being sent at.

Surely this is standard practice? I do it all the time.

See the previous reply, or in case you missed it:

Assign the last UDK (or whichever one you prefer) to enable "Monitors to Master Fader"

what in MONITOR mode?

Surely this is standard practice? I do it all the time.

See the previous reply, or in case you missed it:

Assign the last UDK (or whichever one you prefer) to enable "Monitors to Master Fader"

That was my point....

The trouble with changing to post fade like this is the 2 different reference levels.

Of course, with correct gain structure you'd be running at 0dB. But are you really going to be? Let's assume you're playing a track off the USB key which will of course as we all know be hotter than a very hot thing on the sun with a C audio amp within 3 feet. It won't REALLY be HOT as such it's just we all have this phobia of getting near the 0dB on a channel level as it sounds horrible. The issue then is the highly compressed track will be kicking out at about -2dB so will be much hotter. You'll be running your faders on that channel at -30dB and your mix sends barely on. As soon as you hit that post fade button you lose 30dB in your monitors, just like that.

it's a good idea in a perfect world, but sadly it is rarely implemented perfectly. Split the output to 4 channels instead of 2 nd have one as a monitor pair and the other as a FOH pair, that way you CAN adjust levels separately if necessary but can also (with the aid of 4 fingers or the side of a mobile phone) pull down 4 at once. Something solved by a DCA but alas, no such luck.

Rob

Archived