KAM Parbar voltage

Hobson

I bought a KAM Parbar

http://www.kam.co.uk/index.php?actio...eywords=parbar

(long uninteresting story as to why) from a Brittish retailer. The specs say it requires 250V at 50Hz. As I use it in the U.S., I've used a step up transformer to step down the voltage and up the Hz.

It appears to be identical to the Chauvet 4-bar

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...tem?sku=817159

The specs on the 4-bar says it has "AC power: Autoswitching 100-240 V 50/60 Hz." In other words, it can be used in either the U.S. or Europe. Just plug it in using a cord with the appropriate male end.

Does anyone know if these two products are identical, i.e., the Parbar has auto switchin too? If it does I'd much rather plug the Parbar directly into the wall than go through the transformer.

Thanks

I've used a step up transformer to step down the voltage and up the Hz.

A transformer won't 'up the Hz', it outputs whatever frequency you put in.

I guess that's just a typo re- using a step-up transformer to step down the voltage! The clue's in the name.

As 'KAM' are a specifically british brand, (a marque of Lamba plc) it may be that they've lowered the cost by not having a universal power supply that maybe a european or worldwide brand may choose.

Why not email or ring them? They will surely know best.

Lamba plc, Unit 1, Southfields Road, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, LU6 3EJ, United Kingdom

Telephone: +44 (0)1582 690600

Fax: +44 (0)1582 690400

I've used a step up transformer to step down the voltage and up the Hz.

A transformer won't 'up the Hz', it outputs whatever frequency you put in.

I guess that's just a typo re- using a step-up transformer to step down the voltage! The clue's in the name.

As 'KAM' are a specifically british brand, (a marque of Lamba plc) it may be that they've lowered the cost by not having a universal power supply that maybe a european or worldwide brand may choose.

Why not email or ring them? They will surely know best.

Lamba plc, Unit 1, Southfields Road, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, LU6 3EJ, United Kingdom

Telephone: +44 (0)1582 690600

Fax: +44 (0)1582 690400

I migt have been wrong, but the "step down" was not a typo. I thought I was taking US power from 120v up to 240v and its hertz down from 60Hz to 50Hz. You may be right that it is putting out 240v/60Hz. But the Parbar seems to be working fine whatever it is doing.

I've tried emailing them [info@kam.co.uk], but the email is rejected by KAM's server.

I'll try giving them a call on Monday. I was hoping I could learn the answer over the weekend.

Hobson

The transformer that you have used definatly wont alter the frequency, no transformer can.

Voltage can be readily altered by use of a suitable transformer.

A lot of LED equipment uses a switched mode power supply with univeresal input, in which case it will be fine on 120 volts 60 cycles or on 230/240 volts, 50 cycles.

However the manual for the equipment in question refers to only 230 volt input.

Manuals for lower end equipment are not allways accurate, often several versions of the rquipment are made for different markets, and all use the same manual.

Only detailed inspection, or enquiry of the manufacturer will tell for certain.

Archived