Digital Desks/wireless mixing

LeroyOZ

Hello all,

I have been asked to quote for an install in a Hotel entertainment venue. They don't want anything obtrusive. I was thinking of a digital desk with wireless mixing tablet or Laptop. I know very little in this area and would appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

Hello there, I use an m7cl with highspeed router on my laptop for line checks and the such, but I wouldnt be completely happy to mix from a laptop via wifi, im talking stuff like musicals with radio mics, if your talking about a man and a mic with playback I would be slightly happier as long as the laptop is running nothing but the software and the routers firmware is kept current and secure etc.

HTH

Doug, thankyou for that link, its very interesting. im still a little unsure if I would be completely happy mixing a large scale show on purely a laptop from FOH, I do various shows from foh with a laptop/tablet, but I think it would certainly take some getting used to mixing purely on a comp.

Very interesting watch though, thankyou :-)

Dan

an install in a Hotel entertainment venue

We're going to need a LOT more info before anyone can suggest anything remotely useful. What are we talking here? Karaoke? Conferences? Rock bands? Musicals? Plays? Jazz groups? Open mic nights? After dinner speeches?

What does the system need to be able to do? In detail.

Who needs to be able to operate it? What's their skill level?

an install in a Hotel entertainment venue

We're going to need a LOT more info before anyone can suggest anything remotely useful. What are we talking here? Karaoke? Conferences? Rock bands? Musicals? Plays? Jazz groups? Open mic nights? After dinner speeches?

What does the system need to be able to do? In detail.

Who needs to be able to operate it? What's their skill level?

It will be used for 6 piece pop cover bands. I will be operating.

well until we get a little more info, just a little from me on digital wireless mixing.

I've had my LS9 now for just over a year, I'm currently running up to 48 channels in and up to 16 out depending on the client obviously.

I've mixed things from people like JLS, The Beautiful south, to Lemarr, Lee Ryan, Blazin squad, through to numerous rock acts, as well as High profile Corperate and non corperate events.

so here goes....

I find myself using an LS9 more so than other desks, just purely because of its small footprint, though there are many other small desks out there.

A typical set up can be desk at FOH (very small footprint) and me wondering around with a laptop (ideally would prefer a tablet of a similar size if anyone can recommend)

Its fantastic to have the "being in 2 places" aspect, especially setting up monitors etc.

Iv'e not recently experienced any issues of control being lost, and that's using a fairly cheap router, its secure, it cant be seen and I always check for crap spots around the room before commencing any wireless work.(just for piece of mind)

I do have an amplified aerial which clamps to a mic stand which I can set up if things arn't so great, but that normally comes out in venues wheres theres lots of metal in the roof!

I find it a god send to be honest, being able to move around the performance space, listening at different spots, esp mixing monitors, you can go stand next to the performer and hear it from their position.

I tend to get the band/artist whatever to have a short run through, just on monitors alone, then I move around each monitoring position having a listen, changing things on the fly as the performer plays- it works brilliantly to be honest.

As a matter of course after I make a set of changes I always back up just in case, to be honest, iv'e had more issues of power loss due to a numpty unpluggine or brown out, so now the desk is on a UPS in the FOH rack (a small rack underneath housing 2 pre amps, router, UPS, and a rack draw- technical I know)

All I would say if you are wirelessly mixing be sure to test the hardware before taking it into an enviroment. nothing is for sure in this world, I carry a spare wireless router just in case, as well as a couple of CAT5 cables, to be honest ive had more issues with them than the router itself.

Most artists are amazed at the freedom I have, the fact I can stand next to them at a wedge and set it for them, (alot of engineers out there are like " yea we can change that, leans over pretends to turn or press" -

My only gripe with digital mixing, is sometimes theres a slight delay with metering coming from the desk - I think this is something you have to accept.

I have on occasion had the desk next to the stage, and run FOH from a laptop at FOH position. Personally I like to have the desk to hand, old timer ;)

Just because navigating on the desk is quicker, I can set short cuts, move stuff I use more regularly onto custom buttons/faders, however for a fixed install id imagine that the set up after the input side wouldn't change all that much - where as in a live situation (touring) every time is different.

So to round up, wireless mixing, love it or hate it its here to stay, it has its pittfuls like everything, only once have I had an issue with drop out, and that was down to scanning software on the laptop kicking in- so remember to "customise you laptop" for running these apps.

dan

Hey,

Maybe you could explore the new allen and heath idr16 and ilive r72.. In this application you could set the idr to do a basic few mics and playback, and then add the console when needed?

Just a thought?

I'd second that. I'm looking myself into buying just the iDR-16 and a tablet pc. lugging mixers and racks around is SO 20th century!

Archived