iLive desk - crossover functionality?

Solstace

'Lo!

Been playing with the A&H software and from what I can make out, the only key thing I can't find on any output is bandpass/crossover control - which is a shame as I'd love to reduce the number of boxes our system uses. I'd prefer to move all the speaker management into the mixer so that all the hardware/software config happens in one place and the amps are fed directly from the desk.

I've tried to get the parametric EQ to make a makeshift crossover but for the system I have in mind the best Lo-pass I can make needs to be set at 120Hz, and the best I can make it do is 2KHz...

Anyone found a way of doing crossovers on this desk without resorting to external hardware? Anyone know if this is a planned update for the future?

Interesting one.

I guess they don't look at it as a useful feature else it would be there. I'd assume the reasons for not doing so is the likelihood of the same desk running the same rig every day in a touring market is quite low. One would assume that the desk is used with lots of different plug and play systems and as such these would have the necessary processing with them. One would also assume that lots of desks could be used with these systems and as such not all the desks would have the features meaning a separate unit would be required.

Your case where you may use the same desk and the same PA at every show, (and of course you'd still have the ability to use it full range into another system) is probably a very small one.

I do however agree that it could be a useful thing, even if it was just for sending 2 signals out to biamp a drum fill. It's one thing I'd love to see on today's many variants of smart phone. The ability to play a tune and put a variable HPF and/or LPF on. Would it not be so much easier to test a component properly with any amp rather than having to get a dedicated rack out etc. But maybe that's going OT.

Interesting one.

I guess they don't look at it as a useful feature else it would be there. I'd assume the reasons for not doing so is the likelihood of the same desk running the same rig every day in a touring market is quite low. One would assume that the desk is used with lots of different plug and play systems and as such these would have the necessary processing with them. One would also assume that lots of desks could be used with these systems and as such not all the desks would have the features meaning a separate unit would be required.

Your case where you may use the same desk and the same PA at every show, (and of course you'd still have the ability to use it full range into another system) is probably a very small one.

I do however agree that it could be a useful thing, even if it was just for sending 2 signals out to biamp a drum fill. It's one thing I'd love to see on today's many variants of smart phone. The ability to play a tune and put a variable HPF and/or LPF on. Would it not be so much easier to test a component properly with any amp rather than having to get a dedicated rack out etc. But maybe that's going OT.

maybe that's the case, but I have a feeling it might still be on their wish list..

Well that works quite neatly for outputs needing high-pass filtering, but low-pass filtering only happens at 2KHz or higher. Plus the fact that I cannot easily see what the crossover slopes are, nor how steep they are. Sure, I could measure in SMAART or similar. Using EQ's to mimic crossover functionality might well lead to phase/filtering distortions that I'd rather avoid if I'm essentially looking at starting a system rebuild from ground zero...

The box I'm looking at trying out is the IDR-48 - and I guess I was being hopeful that the newer IDR series would retain the features of the IDR-8 I'm already familiar with. Wonder if it's worth emailing A&H techsupport to see if they have any ideas on if/how/when this kind of thing can be added?

On the one hand, mixing to straight L-R-SUB is quick and easy - but the options to do more than that would be very nice if it makes the overall system management easier too. We have delay, EQ and dynamics on a per-mix basis and that's awesome. Guess I'm just looking for that extra 10% that could make a world of difference! ;)

I would love to have the entire system at my fingertips in one box during what is going to be a rather painful integration process when we bring a new desk into our environment - one that I know already will bring a whole load of existing problems out of the woodwork. It would be nice to be able to do things on the fly from the desk, rather than having to send someone to make changes to amps or speaker-management boxes that will be housed elsewhere in the building - a situation that will hardly be uncommon elsewhere, surely?

I believe the only console with proper processing integration is the EAW umx.96 which has all the abilities of the ux8800 processor built in. You may also get a card for the soundcraft Vi series which includes processing, although I haven't heard any real details of it.

On the one hand, mixing to straight L-R-SUB is quick and easy - but the options to do more than that would be very nice if it makes the overall system management easier too. We have delay, EQ and dynamics on a per-mix basis and that's awesome. Guess I'm just looking for that extra 10% that could make a world of difference! ;)

I would love to have the entire system at my fingertips in one box during what is going to be a rather painful integration process when we bring a new desk into our environment - one that I know already will bring a whole load of existing problems out of the woodwork. It would be nice to be able to do things on the fly from the desk, rather than having to send someone to make changes to amps or speaker-management boxes that will be housed elsewhere in the building - a situation that will hardly be uncommon elsewhere, surely?

I'm thinking about scenes for your delays ect on a per mix basis, and of course the idr48 can be operated wirelessly from a laptop to save those trips to your amp room but reading your post again maybe a London architect/soundweb system would suit your venue better or an integration of the two using MADI?

I believe the only console with proper processing integration is the EAW umx.96 which has all the abilities of the ux8800 processor built in. You may also get a card for the soundcraft Vi series which includes processing, although I haven't heard any real details of it.

Mackie's TT24 has the Lake card available. Though as the desk itself seems not to be made any more, that is, perhaps, irrelevant!

Id thought what a great idea it would be to have all the LMS on the desk, but reality is, your 48in/16 out wouldnt be enough.

I run a tri amped system, so thats 6 outputs (5 with mono sub) then I run upto a 8 way monitor mix, a drum fill which is bi amped thats 15 let alone anything else I may want to do, so maybe if and when desks have more output as standard its something that could be done.

However my thoughts are it wont happen, certainly on 90% of desks.

a couple of issues.

1) same desk may not be used every night in the same place (requires different PA set up) of course if its an install this doesnt apply.

2) Should the desk die, youd have to wheel in no2- does that have the same functionalilty?

In theory im sure it would be a great idea, I just dont really see it happening, certainly anytime soon

dan

Archived