West End Complacency

Stu

Hi Guys & Gals

On enforced leave from work at the mo, so I thought I'd head up to town with a mate to do some shopping etc... Anyway while we were there we decided on a wim we'd go and see Phantom at Her Majestys. I really wished I hadn't.

It was the worst, most cringing show I've ever had to sit through, with a completely lacklustre overture, a chandlier that needed a good old shove to get going, the tabs over the fake pros needed a technician to help them come off as they got stuck half way up, a poor cast in relation to who has been in it in recent years, a show in desperate need of a relight (my opinion at least), felt in no way grand as it should do, and neither did it seem dark and mysterious.

Not only that but the 1st act shuddered to a halt half way through, apparantly due to something being caught on the flys.

2nd act redemed itself slightly, but I really think the show is in desperate need of being re-produced, as it was considerably inferior to the 2000 UK National tour which was 100 times better. And it seemed the West End show had a different, and fair inferior ending.

No wonder it's got (apparantly) the highest labour turnover on the West End.

Any comments about shows that stick around to long without any tweaks, and become tired and dull former images of themselves? (At least we know which ones to avoid)

Stu

• 1 year later...

!Off topic I know but related to the revamp!

The starlight revamp was mainly a re-light, a new board and a theatre auditorium revamp.

Mac 500s and 2000s were added to replace the intellbeams and it was run off a horizion controller and several lcd controllers for the Af1000s and the emulators.

!Off topic I know but related to the revamp!

The starlight revamp was mainly a re-light, a new board and a theatre auditorium revamp.

Mac 500s and 2000s were added to replace the intellbeams and it was run off a horizion controller and several lcd controllers for the Af1000s and the emulators.

... and lots of new sound kit, brand new surfaces on most of the set, paint jobs on the sections of set not renewed, new projectors for the races, new camera and infra-red trip controls for said projectors, etc etc. Trust me on this, I was there at the time!

Archived