New Nexo cabs

ChazHS

Hi everyone,

Having heard the new PS-10R2/LS-600 combo at PLASA last year I've decided to bite the bullet and go ahead and build myself a system. I currently have a PS-8/LS-400 system (4 x PS-8 and 2 x LS-400) and was wondering (with the same quantities), is the difference between the system going to be immense? I plan to use a Crown XTi 2000 bridged per PS-10R2 and an XTI 4000 bridged per LS-600. I currently run an XTi 2000 in stereo for the PS-8s with one per side and an XTi 4000 in stereo for the LS-400s.

Either that or some suggestions for a similarly priced alternative that has to be PASSIVE.

Thanks.

the ps10 was always the best box in the range in my opinion, and the r2 plays a lot louder than the original, so I would say that the change from ps8 to ps10 r2 is going to be big

I personally would not go with the crowns - its a personal opinion based on sound quality more than anything else, I simply dont like the way the crown xti's sound and I dont think it will do the speakers justice.

have heard the Ps8's sound very good off of a yamaha p3500s (I think, not sure which one in the range it was) amp, it was running four as stage monitors and they sounded incredibly clear, played surprisingly low and went very loud for such a small box.

the ps10 was always the best box in the range in my opinion, and the r2 plays a lot louder than the original, so I would say that the change from ps8 to ps10 r2 is going to be big

I personally would not go with the crowns - its a personal opinion based on sound quality more than anything else, I simply dont like the way the crown xti's sound and I dont think it will do the speakers justice.

Hmm... I kind of see what you mean, would I be better off with some iTechs/MacroTech amps or would you recommend I switch to Camco?

Hmm... I kind of see what you mean, would I be better off with some iTechs/MacroTech amps or would you recommend I switch to Camco?

Most hire companies use Camco for things like Nexo PS series so they can't be too bad

camco's do sound smoother to me than the crown XTI, my personal preference would be Lab Gruppen. If budget becomes an issue, you have the second hand option available where Labs very high reliability will become an advantage.

but, its a very subjective thing - if it works for you, I would not worry too much!

There are a lot of good amps around at the moment that will be fine with the nexo boxes. What I will say is don't Bridge amps its not good for them, if you can't afford the right amp for the job, wait and save up more.

If you're going to be getting the new boxes why not get one of the new NX Amps to go with them?

Because they're a lot more expensive than say a Vortex 6 etc.

A quick list price check indicates that the NX4x4 is £6465 versus the Camco V6 which is £3727 which you'd need 2 of and of course you'd need to buy the PS10 TDv3 processor too at £627.

In any case, it's likley that at this level the NX4x1 would be the choice amp which lists at £3232.

All prices are LIST so do not contain vat or any trade discount.

If you're going to be getting the new boxes why not get one of the new NX Amps to go with them?

Because they're a lot more expensive than say a Vortex 6 etc.

A quick list price check indicates that the NX4x4 is £6465 versus the Camco V6 which is £3727 which you'd need 2 of and of course you'd need to buy the PS10 TDv3 processor too at £627.

In any case, it's likley that at this level the NX4x1 would be the choice amp which lists at £3232.

All prices are LIST so do not contain vat or any trade discount.

I stand corrected!

Do you think the NX4x1 will have enough power for what the OP requires? So really may be looking at the NX4x4.

Willl the NX4x1 be enough? I don't know what the plan for the system is. If you're used to using a PS8/LS400 system then maybe it's fine. Is it desined for the speakers? Yes it is, however if you've ever used the PS10 amp and then used a PS10 with a NX242/Vortex 6 rack then you know that being designed for a specific purpose doesn't always make it good enough.

I'd certainly demo it as an option, it'll be light too, it's only 2u iirc.

Willl the NX4x1 be enough? I don't know what the plan for the system is. If you're used to using a PS8/LS400 system then maybe it's fine. Is it desined for the speakers? Yes it is, however if you've ever used the PS10 amp and then used a PS10 with a NX242/Vortex 6 rack then you know that being designed for a specific purpose doesn't always make it good enough.

I'd certainly demo it as an option, it'll be light too, it's only 2u iirc.

If I was going to go down the Nexo amplifier route then I'd go for the 4x4, not the 4x1, the 4x1 isn't powerful enough for what I want.

As for amplification, I've heard Vortex 6's running Nexo stuff before, and they do sound quite nice. Is there nothing to be said for some Crown iTechs or Macrotech I's though?

Archived