Sound Editing Software

gallente

Hey all, im looking for a basic sound editing program. Im going to be plugging some stuff into my Line in port on my laptop, and I want a program that alows me to put some effects onto it, only basic stuff like echo an things like that. I really need something free really, or a trial version because im only going to be using it once. Thanks :)

Or you may get on with Audacity - there's even a Linux version! :) :)

Here's a link... About Audacity (Courtesy of SourceForge.net)

The Windows version supports Cubase VST plugins (and there's loads of free ones for compression, reverb, gating, EQ, Valve Saturation, delay, etc - all floating around on the 'net)

And best of all, it's free!!! :o

Hope this helps

C.

I'd suggest trying the adobe audition demo, too.Having used the demo a few times in anger, I can justify buying it now. I'm no sound engineer (indeed, it would be fair to describe me as an "unsound engineer" in so many ways :) ), but it didn't take long for this dunce to learn how to do what I needed to with audition.

I've just upgraded to Audition from CEP.  It seems to work just the same (ie the CD writer doesn't) but the rest of it is :-

(:- The Mut's N...)

I forgot about that - I don't use the "CD project" bit , as I had trouble with it as well. Not a problem, though, given the seemingly endless amount of CD-burning software that seems to lurk on my hard drive!

Where have the groups moved to?  I had the Syntrilium forums bookmarked, but have yet to have a look at the new ones.

I suppose I could Google....

There's now two you should know about. The "official" Adobe site is fairly boring...just user-to-user tech support but if that what you need the advice is good from people who know what they're doing. You have to register (free) to access the site the first time. The main forums address is at http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/main.html then follow the link to the Audition forum which will guide you through registering.

There's also an "unofficial" but sanctioned by Adobe (i.e. they even provide a link to it) forum which has much more the flavour of the old Sytrillium site and is where most of the old regulars hang out. It's part of an associated site which has lots of Audition info, FAQs and tutorials...very worth while. Again, you need to register (free) to post. Although you can link straight to the forum, I recommend a first time visitor goes to http://www.audiomasters.org/ and follows links to the forum from there.

Finally, just a note on versions. Users of Cooledit Pro 2.0 or 2.1 were entitled to a free "cross grade" to Audition 1.0 but this was really just a re-badging exercise. However, they have recently come out with version 1.5 which was a significant upgrade with several new features that have been useful to me for theatre work. Alas, the upgrade to 1.5 costs....for existing CEP2.0/2.1/AA1.0 users it's $69 but I found it money well spent.

Hope this helps

Bob

However, they have recently come out with version 1.5 which was a significant upgrade with several new features that have been useful to me for theatre work.  Alas, the upgrade to 1.5 costs....for existing CEP2.0/2.1/AA1.0 users it's $69 but I found it money well spent.

With VAT added, a UK mark-up imposed and carriage, it comes in at £63.58. Not read the FM yet. Let's see what I had missed by guessing!

Archived