iPod Touch

Matt Pengelly

Hello BR folks. I'm looking to get myself an iPod, primarily for intro/outro music from FOH, but it occurs to me that given the good reviews a lot of the AudioTools (and similar) apps get from friends and online it might be worth spending the extra £30 to upgrade from a Nano to a Touch. I do this with a view to adding the Studio 6 Digital interface to the iPod when it eventually becomes available over here, but is there anything usable out there mic-wise at the moment which would do me in the interim?

Thoughts/opinions welcomed from anybody out there with experience of these things...

I use faberacoustical's SoundMeter and SignalScope (SPL and RTA respectively) on my iPhone. Having compared the results to calibrated meters made my Neutrik amongst others, it's remarkably accurate. The mic clips at around 101dB, so particularly loud sounds disrupt it. Given the cost of the apps plus the touch is still substantially cheaper than a fully calibrated system, it's quite useful at the price point.

At the end of the day all the audio apps for an iphone whilst being nice to have are not a substitute for s smaart or other laptop based system, some are in fact more than a little gimmicky. Also. for reasons covered here and on psw many many times a single channel fft or an rta are not the tool you want for properly setting up and aligning a system.

Charlie

Both extremely valid points; I agree 100%. However, as I've said I'm not looking to use it for anything like that. It just seems like a handy 'bonus' feature worth exploiting given the tiny sums of cash involved and the fact that it will something I need to carry around with me anyway. This is not something which I intend to use for in-depth systems analysis and alignment, just as a rudimentary device that will give me a second opinion to my primary RTA. My ears.

Does anybody have any recommendations by way of a mic or am I better off waiting for the iProMic?

Archived